Will the 1Password SSH Agent support OpenPGP Smartcards?

noevidenz
noevidenz
Community Member
edited July 2022 in SSH

Since the release of 1Password 8, I've been able to move most of my SSH keys into my 1Password vault and use the built-in SSH agent, which is a feature I absolutely love.

I've been using the GnuPG gpg-agent to authenticate with a private key which is stored on an OpenPGP Smartcard (Yubikey). I use the key on this smartcard for SSH and a subkey for commit signing.

Is there a plan for the 1Password SSH Agent to support OpenPGP Smart Cards? Currently it seems my only option is to run both GnuPG and 1Password agents alongside each other.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• What is it that you're looking for? Yubikey support in general as an additional authentication factor for security purposes, or are you mostly just looking for a way to sign commits using 1Password?

• noevidenz
    noevidenz
    Community Member

I'd like to add an identity to the ssh agent for a private key which is stored on an external hardware token instead of in a 1Password vault.

I have several keys stored in 1Password and would like to use the built in ssh agent, however because I have a private key on my Yubikey which cannot be imported into 1Password, I have to run the GnuPG ssh-agent as well in order to access that key.

• fishhead
    fishhead
    Community Member

Any news here?

• Yubikey support for the SSH agent is not on the near-term roadmap, so your best bet for the coming period would be to keep the agents running side by side, and use the SSH config to determine which hosts should use which agent socket.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I recently received a YubiKey as a gift and want to experiment with a SSH key on my YubiKey.

What should I configure in the SSH config file to switch between agents?

This discussion has been closed.