App pollutes Application Support with folders

Options
jhns
jhns
Community Member

On install, or update, the Mac app pollutes Application Support with separate folders (ie not under the main 1Password folder) for browsers that are not installed, and I will never install. The folder/tree contains a json file:

com.1password.1password.json

This is not good practice and I can't imagine there is a good technical reason for this. No other app I have used (from memory) speculatively pre-creates folders like this outside its own support folders.

Can you explain this behaviour please?

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.5 and prior
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jhns:

Great question! The folders / files you're seeing are the native messaging files 1Password uses to communicate with 1Password in the browser. That file tells the browser which application is allowed to communicate with specific extensions installed in the browser. Because the native messaging files are required for 1Password in the browser to connect to the 1Password desktop app, the native messaging files are installed for all supported browsers. If only the currently installed browsers had their native messaging files created, a browser installed after 1Password for Mac was installed would not have the native messaging files, and 1Password in that browser would not be able to communicate with the 1password desktop app.

Jack

• jhns
    jhns
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I really don’t like this. Installing anything should be an explicit user choice. My system folders aren’t there to make your life easier! You even install speculatively for beta and dev versions of browsers that might be insecure. You should install the browser plug-in or extension and any required folders or files as part of a normal installation routine and not in advance.

This discussion has been closed.