1Password 8.7.3 just fills a random username/password for sites where it doesn't have an entry

Options
beaugunderson
beaugunderson
Community Member

It happened just now on this very site, for example--I didn't have an account but I tried to auto-fill anyway, thinking I might.

I got the same username/password that 1Password has recently begun filling into sites whenever there's no entry.

It is incredibly annoying and leaks information about me (via the username).

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS latest
Browser:_ Chrome latest

Comments

• @beaugunderson

Did you use the autofill identity? Do you have an established or typical username you use saved in you item? If so, you may wish to remove it. I am thinking registration.

That said, you mentioned filling into the site and a password. Did you mean the suggestion being offered to you?

• beaugunderson
    beaugunderson
    Community Member
    Options

To make this concrete--for sites with no saved username/password it always fills username "abc" and password "123" (not the real values obviously but just to get across the point that they're always the same).

Prior to this change command-\ would just bring up the 1Password quick search box if there was no saved username/password for the site, and if I knew there was one but it did not have the URL saved I could select it manually (and choose to update the entry with the URL).

I don't have an entry for registration or "autofill" so it's been hard to track down which entry is being used. It's always the same entry though.

• beaugunderson
    beaugunderson
    Community Member
    Options

Found the issue--there was an entry that had this set, so I think it would try to use it for everything without its own username/password.

• Thanks @beaugunderson

I have to say I'll add that one to memory. I would not immediately have thought of that. I appreciate you sharing the cause with me.

• beaugunderson
    beaugunderson
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Something has definitely broken recently. Items keep adding a link to Chrome when I use them, which then autocompletes them into any page that doesn't already have a linked item. I then have to go through a painful process of figuring out which item has the link to Chrome and then remove it.

• Hi @beaugunderson:

We've recently made some improvements to this that should improve your state of play. They're currently available in the beta release of 1Password 8: Use 1Password beta releases

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• beaugunderson
    beaugunderson
    Community Member
    Options

Fantastic, will upgrade to beta shortly. :)

• Let us know how you fare @beaugunderson

This discussion has been closed.