Password History not available for "Server" items?

Options
RKOpatryx
RKOpatryx
Community Member

Hello, and thanks for your attention -
In the 1Password Windows app, I am able to look up my password history for some items (e.g. "logins") but not others. Specifically, I am looking for the password history on a "Server" item.

Is this intentional/by-design, and perhaps I should follow a different paradigm for saving certain types of credentials? (I have a cluster of related items with multiple domain accounts and several servers, some of which are domain-joined and others are not) - if so, I appreciate that suggestions for that may be out-of-scope and will be happy to post separately when I have the time to reconsider.

Steps to recreate:
Create a New Item of type "server". Password is mypassword1. In the app, select the server item, then click "Edit" at upper right. Click the password field and edit password by changing the "1" to a "2", i.e. "mypassword2".
Save.

Result:
Clicking on the down arrow at the right of the password field only lists "Conceal" and "Show in Large Type"

Expected result:
I expect the list to include "View password history"

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@RKOpatryx

It seems the passwordHistory element is not a per-field value, but rather is associated with the entire 1Password item. An exported 1PUX shows it appears outside the "sections" list, and each section contains a list of fields. If password history were retained per-field, there would be a passwordHistory element within a field's definition (when appropriate).

• Hello @RKOpatryx,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry for the delay in response over the weekend. Password history is available for Logins and Password items, but can see where this would useful for other items containing/using password fields. I've added your +1 to a feature request we're currently tracking.

Have a great day!

ref: IDEA-I-288

• RKOpatryx
    RKOpatryx
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC - thanks for your time & the information; I think I was a little vague when I said "item", I actually meant "I'd like a password history for servers as well as logins". That's still very interesting to know and I appreciate the research you did. Thank you again!

@ag_mike_d - thank you for the information, this means I'll create a "login" whenever I want password history. Not a big deal for me, I think! Thanks also for the +1, I think that is precisely what I'm looking for.

Cheers!

• GreyM1P
    Options

It's also worth mentioning that you can see previous versions of any item, including Servers, through 1Password.com:

View and restore previous versions of items

Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.