Passwords not copying - please, I'm desperate!

hplot
hplot
Community Member

Hi! I use 1pass with my company. I feel like the only one with this issue and it makes me feel crazy because no one, I guess, believes me?

Say I need to log into a site that I personally don't have the password for, the only way to get the password is by copying it from 1pass. I copy the email address from 1pass, paste it into the website I want to get into, and that works fine. Then I click copy next to the password. Sometimes it just doesn't copy at all, no matter if I hit the copy button, ctrl+c, or right click it just won't. Other times when I paste it into the pw box on the website I noticed that the password I just pasted is way longer than what I just copied.

I spent a while going back and forth trying to figure out why, then eventually tried pasting it into Microsoft Edge (I usually use chrome) and the password showed up...but it wasn't the password, it was the email! The password just didn't copy. I can do this a million times and the result will be the same.

I don't know what to do. It's interfering with my ability to do my work. Please help!

Comments

• Hey @hplot, thanks for reaching out. I apologize for our delayed response.

I have a few questions for you that will help me get a better understanding of the issue:
    1. Does this occur when you copy the password directly from 1Password for Windows (desktop app) or 1Password in your browser?
    2. Do you happen to be using a VM (Virtual Machine) or are you remotely accessing another system?
    3. Could you provide any additional details about your current setup? For instance, Windows version and 1Password version.

I'll look forward to hearing from you as we investigate this further!

Ali

• Hello @hplot

I see you wrote into 1Password Support regarding passwords not copying, I just wanted to check in to see how things were going? Have you had any issues answering any of my colleagues questions?

If you're still needing assistance, feel free to reply here and we will be happy to assist further. If everything is OK and you no longer need help, you can ignore this message. πŸ™‚

Jermaine

• benlagrou
    benlagrou
    Community Member

Hi,
    I and another collegue of me has similar problems.
    We use the 1Password for windows (desktop app). We use Oracle VM virtualbox manager to make connections to VM's and from there make connections to other servers.
    The password copy (by clicking the copy button in 1 password, or using the quick key setting in 1 password to copy the password) sometimes doesn't work. If it do paste something, it's the last text copy that is stored in the clipboard.
    My workaround to make it work is:
    1) copy a random character or word or whatever on your local laptop.
    2) copy the password from the 1 Password entry
    3) now you can paste it everywhere you want (local, VM,...). The correct password is copied to the clipboard.

This workaround always works, but it's so annoying that way. I think 1password is a very good password manager and I'm glad we use it for the whole company. But there needs to be a solution for this.

My windows version and 1 password version see below:

windows 10 pro
    1Password for windows 8.10.1

Ben

• Hello @benlagrou,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry for the troubles you've been encountering when attempting to copy into VirtualBox. We appreciate your report and I've passed your feedback along to our development team by way of an issue that was previously opened internally. πŸ‘

ref: dev/core/core#11774

• benlagrou
    benlagrou
    Community Member

Hello,
    Thanks for passing this to the development team.
    Any updates for this problem?

• Hello @benlagrou,

Thanks for your follow-up message. I had previously included your reported details and workaround to the team, but have no further updates to share.

We appreciate your patience while waiting for the team to investigate.

• benlagrou
    benlagrou
    Community Member

Hi Mike,
    Is there any information from the development team regarding when they plan to address this issue?

• Hi @benlagrou! We don't have any news to share about this issue at the moment, however I've let our developers know that you've checked back in with us.

• benlagrou
    benlagrou
    Community Member

Hi 1password team member or dev

I want to bring your attention to this issue that has been persisting for quite some time now. It has been three months since my initial communication regarding this matter, and unfortunately, it still remains unresolved, despite the fact that it has been hanging since July 2022 (hplot).

I would like to urgently inquire about the timeline for addressing this pressing issue. While I appreciate the frequent updates provided by 1Password, I cannot help but notice that amidst all the other changes and updates, it appears that this particular matter is not receiving the attention it deserves.

Allow me to emphasize the significance of this issue, as it affects our entire organization, which relies on 1Password extensively. The presence of this persistent bug has caused frustration and discontent among our employees, and it is imperative that we find a solution promptly.

• Hi @benlagrou, thanks for checking back in with us about this!

There have been a few changes made to the Windows clipboard backend since the issue my colleague Mike had added your case to was originally opened, and we've not had any other reports of behaviour like this since those changes. Based on this, I would like to investigate further to make sure that our understanding of the issue you're running into is correct. Could you reproduce the issue, and then email in to support+forum@1password.com with a diagnostics report, so we can take a closer look?

With your email please include:

Once you get a response with a Support ID, please post that number here so we can connect the dots. Thanks!

ref: dev/core/core#9892

• benlagrou
    benlagrou
    Community Member

Hi @1P_Gem,

Thank you for responding. The issue is still persisting today. I have followed the provided instructions to send the diagnostic report. Below, you will find my ticket number for reference.

Your support ticket number is 142868.

BR,
    Ben

• Hi @benlagrou, thanks for getting back to me with your support ID! We've received your email, and will continue the conversation over there πŸ˜„

ref: QXS-53522-521

• benlagrou
    benlagrou
    Community Member

Hi @1P_Gem,

3 months and a lot of 1password updates later...I was wondering when this issue will be tackled by the team.
    I've only got a support ID number. When I reply on that I get antoher number. Where will this conversation continue?

BR,
    Ben

• AliH1P
    edited September 2023

Hey @benlagrou, we don't currently have any updates regarding this issue. I've also sent you a reply via email to continue our conversation over there.

Ali

ref: QXS-53522-521