Importing passwords into 1Password nothing but a headache. Don't do it. Start completely fresh.

Options
rgsherr
rgsherr
Community Member

1Password in Chrome in Windows 10 seems to work well for new sites and new logins but there's a problem with previous sites that have previous logins. I made the mistake of importing my sites and logins from Chrome. As a result there are several site names and logins for a number of sites. I choose one and tell it I've forgotten my password and it sends link for password change. 1Password shows the old password and I tell it to generate a password which it does and I copy it in and log in with it. But there's no way to delete the other versions of the site in 1Password and 1Password continues to want to now use one of the older site names to retrieve the password which is the old one. I would like to delete the older site names from 1Password there doesn't seem to be any way to do so. I tried making the correct one the favorite but it still insists on choosing one of the older ones with the old password. I tried to copy the correct password into the password fields with the old password but there's no way to do that either that I can find. So everytime I log into the site I have to remember which one is correct to be able to log in. Give us a way to delete the old ones please. It's best not to import any logins from Chrome or anywhere else into 1Password or it will bring you nothing be headaches.
Btw the additional information fields can't be changed even though they're wrong. It has me using Macos when I'm using Windows 10.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

You're right that 1Password doesn't provide a good workflow for initial import and cleaning up the imported entries. That's something that can be improved and something that might prevent potential customers from making a switch from their old password manager.

My personal workflow for doing this was like this:

• I imported from my previous password manager (PasswordSafe) and Chrome into separate vaults
    • most entries had duplicates - one older from PasswordSafe but with more secondary info, one more recent (Chrome) with current passwords
    • I created a vault called "cleaned up items"
    • I created a view that included the two import vaults but not the "cleaned up items" vault
    • I changed to the "all objects" category in that view, so all imported, but not cleaned up items were shown
    • sorted the "all objects" view by title
    • I took the first item of that list and copied the password, then searched for entries with the same password. If there were duplicates, I merged them, tried to login to the corresponding website, and finally moved the cleaned up item to the vault for cleaned up items
    • the same for items with different passwords but for the same site (most of them appeared next to each other due to the sorting by title)
    • repeat with the new first item

This way, the list of items to clean did get shorter and shorter until I processed them all. Then I moved all items from the "cleaned up items" vault to the personal vault, deleted the 2 now empty import vaults, and that was it.

• rgsherr
    rgsherr
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! That's quite a process to have to go through, especially if you have many to deal with. On my latest try on one site with only 1 login from Chrome, I told it I'd forgotten the password, clicked the link to change it, opened 1Password to create and copy a new generated password, copied the password into the site window and found it hadn't copied the new password into the confirm password fields. When I went back to 1Password to get the password again, it generated another password which of course didn't match so I copied the password from the confirmation field into the first field and logged in. Then went back to 1Password to confirm it had changed the password but 1Password still had the very old password that I was originally trying to change so now i don't know what password is in the site login. Guess I'll have to try again.

• rgsherr
    rgsherr
    Community Member
    Options

You're definitely right about the turn off this is for new customers. I was thinking of moving my girlfriend over as she really needs a password manager but she'd never be able to manage these problems.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

I merged something like 2 * 200 = 400 items over the course of a week . Now my password database is correct, clean and comprehensive and contains about 150 login entries.
    While doing this, I changed every password where I didn't already have a truly unique and random password. This was a long due required cleanup, but not related to a migration to 1Password. I just did it, because I was going over every entry anyway.

This discussion has been closed.