Safari settings reset to default after clearing Safari History

gdgtpantaloons
gdgtpantaloons
Community Member
edited August 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Like many others, I miss the older version of 1password, and am pretty bummed out about the direction of the app. However, it still is better than most password apps I've tried.

One thing that is becoming a real pain in the butt tho. The safari plugin settings restore to the default settings every time I clear Safari's history. This surely can't be as intended right? Clearing my browsing history = restoring 1password settings in safari to defaults?

If I'm doing something wrong please advise.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @gdgtpantaloons:

Safari considers "history" to be more than just the list of pages you've visited in chronological order. Safari Web Extensions (which 1Password for Safari is one of) store certain configuration data in that "history" data storage. Clearing your history will result in 1Password for Safari's preferences resetting.

Jack

• gdgtpantaloons
    gdgtpantaloons
    Community Member

So it is intended that every time I clear my safari browsing history, I will have to redo my extension settings? Or any time I close a private browser?

This is how it is intended to work? Or is there a fix for this coming? This is a pretty big deal, and a deal breaker for me.

• Hi @gdgtpantaloons:

To answer the immediate question of is this working as intended, the answer is kind of. Right now with how Safari handles Safari Web Extensions and their data, it is working as we expect, however we realize that this isn't ideal for every person and their use case. We have some feature requests filed internally looking at alternatives, but I can't promise if those alternatives will work or be released. We'd love to improve the experience here if we can though.

Jack

• WestW
    WestW
    Community Member

Add 1 vote to getting this fixed. I previously reported this issue and was told by Jack" "That definitely doesn't sound like the experience we want you to have. "

Yet now he reports that it is working "as intended"?! Another example of things operating totally differently from 1PW7. Clearing browsing history should never change settings unrelated to website browsing history.

Resetting 1PW for Safari settings without any notification will create unintended consequences like saving new items in the Private vault (default). Perhaps there is a better place to store 1PW for Safari settings so this doesn't happen.

• Hey @WestW:

As I mentioned above, this is how Safari Web Extensions store their configuration data. Other browsers consider clearing your history to be just clearing the chronological list of pages, however Safari includes settings that are used by Safari Web Extensions in what's included when clearing your history.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.