Integration between Linux app and Snap Firefox

mhalano
mhalano
Community Member

Some days ago it was released the support for Native Messaging (still experimental) with Snap Firefox. I checked, but the integration between Linux app and Snap Firefox still doesn't work. I was wondering if the integration uses Native Messaging or other way to implement, and if it is using other way, if it could be ported to use Native Messaging, so Linux app could work with Snap Firefox. We are discussing this matter here

1Password Version: 8.9.0~1.BETA
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Ubuntu Kinetic
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member

I'm also interested in hearing back more about this. We were told last October that the team is working on this, but as of today, the only way to get this working is to fall back to using the deb versions of both firefox and 1password which is a pain to have to manually set up.

• Hey folks! Thanks for bringing this development to our attention. We've been waiting for something like this. 🀞 Hopefully the Snap distribution of Firefox now includes what we need to make this happen. I've alerted the appropriate teams so they can triage this work.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#5024

• mhalano
    mhalano
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben. Could you keep us in the loop?

• Thank you for the ask here, folks - and my apologies for the delayed reply. We'll make sure to loop back here with any relevant updates. πŸ‘

• mhalano
    mhalano
    Community Member

Do we have any update on this?

• Hello again @mhalano - We have no updates to share from the team related to support for Native Messaging with Snap Firefox. We'll be in touch when we do.

• admiralconcave
    admiralconcave
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

In the most recent Firefox update I got a pop-up with a question whether I want to allow 1password to communicate with Firefox.
    I did press "yes", but nothing happened afterwards.
    Did anyone else see it or am I tripping? If so, did it work for others?

Edit: I'm guessing this was a pop-up related to "native messaging" being enabled in firefox snap stable.

Still, as of now it doesn't work for me.

• deep9x
    deep9x
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Same, the native messaging popup works and I can confirm it was accepted by running flatpak permissions webextensions, but 1password still does not connect to the extension.

Tried with prod and beta versions of 1password (installed from apt), and the Firefox extensions in Ubuntu Kinetic.

• Hi folks, thanks for the updates. While Firefox has added support for native messaging in the stable release, the integration between 1Password and Firefox Snap is not expected to work just yet.

We'll provide an update as soon as we have more to share.

Ali

• admiralconcave
    admiralconcave
    Community Member

It's been almost 1.5 years since Firefox team moved to snap distribution and integration isn't even in beta.

This is making seriously reconsider whether I want to recommend 1password to any of my friends or keep using it all – as far as I can tell neither keepass, nor bitwarden have these issues.

Is there any progress at all towards the integration? Any plans/roadmaps?

• Hey @admiralconcave, I apologize for the delay here but we don't have any plans/roadmaps to share at this time.

Ali

• ianwestcott
    ianwestcott
    Community Member

Hi all - I saw mention of native messaging support in this recent Ubuntu blog post about the Firefox snap, and I'm curious if that means there are new developments regarding this issue. I am among the users who are very much looking forward to having biometric auth restored to the 1Password Firefox extension in Ubuntu without having to revert to the .deb install!

• Hi @ianwestcott, thanks for reaching out! We don't have any news or information to share on this at the moment, however I've let the team know that you've checked in with us πŸ˜„

We'll provide an update as soon as we have news to share.

• jjjttt
    jjjttt
    Community Member

Over two years have passed since the original post, and the problem seems to persist.
    Are there any news? Will it ever work?

• mhalano
    mhalano
    Community Member

Any news about that? The support for native messaging seems already added to Firefox snap.

• Hey @jjjttt | @mhalano

This is certainly something we'd like to implement, but we don't have any additional news or updates at this time.

Ali

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited October 2023

I also want to have support for Firefox Snap on Ubuntu. Ubuntu 23.10 is available now, and I don't want to remove Firefox Snap and install Firefox deb-package again. It would be more than great to get 1Password supported here.

• Hi @DenalB,

It's currently recommended to use a deb package for your browsers at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience. I'll pass along your feedback to the team. πŸ™‚

Franky

• P3DR4M
    P3DR4M
    Community Member

I just wanted to add another voice to this thread. This issue has been a major inconvenience.

• Hi @P3DR4M,

Thanks for your feedback. I've gone ahead and added your +1 internally. πŸ‘

Franky

• dan5997
    dan5997
    Community Member

+1 from me as well.

I'm using the Firefox snap (from Ubuntu 22.04 LTS) with 1Password, and the lack of integration between the browser extension and desktop app is still a major nuisance.

I'd prefer to not switch to the deb version of Firefox, as I value the sandboxing provided by snaps.

• Hi @dan5997,

I understand this functionality is important for your workflow. I'll go ahead and pass along your feedback to our product team. πŸ™‚

Franky

• duesenklipper
    duesenklipper
    Community Member

Snap-based Firefox is the default in the current LTS version of Ubuntu. I would really like to continue to be able to use 1Password.

• Hi @duesenklipper,

Thank you for your feedback. I'll go ahead and pass this information along to the team πŸ™‚

if there's ever anything more we can do, please be sure to contact us - we're always here to help.

Franky

• HeuvelTop
    HeuvelTop
    Community Member

I am using Ubuntu 22.04 with Firefox Snap 122.0.1 with 1Password for over a year. And now all of a sudden, since a few days it stopped functioning. When I open the extension to enter my master password it opens a new tab with a blank page.

I wonder what has changed because it really worked for months!

HeuvelTop

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member

@HeuvelTop I'd say first thing to try is just to uninstall and reinstall the plugin (making sure you have your secret key, 2FA and password handy). If that doesn't work, try creating a new firefox profile (eg. firefox -P) and install just 1Password.. Does it work? If so, can gradually introduce back the other plugins you find until you find culprit. Then adapt your normal profile accordingly.

You can run multiple firefox windows in different profiles with "firefox --no-remote -P" ... so you could have your normal and test profiles side by side (would recommend not logging into firefox account in test profile).