1Password and Apple Passkey

Over recent years I have avoided using Keychain and tried to work exclusive with 1Password. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Apple's Passkey for its various upcoming OSs. It seems to be dependent on and layered on top of Keychain. How would this impact 1Password and the way these might work together?

Thanks very much for any guidance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

I too am looking forward to Passkeys.

Passkeys is not a purely Apple technology. It's based on FIDO WebAuthn so supported by a very large number of companies to create a new standard.

I too, try not to use password managers that are limited to one companies eco-system and try to use 1Password for this to enable cross device and cross platform and cross eco system compatibility and syncing.

According to the 1Password blog post a few weeks ago, they will be supporting passkeys within 1Password and that will enable syncing between 1Password devices. I hope this means mobile, like iOS too.

I don't know how the passkey gets added to 1Password instead of Apple Keychain, but i'm assuming that browsers will ask where the passkey should be saved when it tries to create one and 1Password will be an option.

There are exciting times ahead for this new credential type though!

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thank you very much. That’s very helpful. I look forward to seeing it implemented.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thank you Gilles.

• Hi @TomWolsky:

We're just as excited about passkeys as you are. Stay tuned for updates!

Jack

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks Jack.

• Funglin
    Funglin
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Definitely interested in this - will indeed stay tuned.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

I'm hoping we find out more from 1Password soon considering iOS16 is out on the 12th.

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member

I would be also interested in syncing passkeys across various OS devices

• Hey all. Nothing earth-shattering to announce just yet, but I wanted to reassure you that we're all keeping on top of the news. We've been running the iOS 16 betas all summer and I've spent the morning updating my devices now that the full release is out. 😂

As @Gilles9 helpfully pointed out, we announced earlier this year that we've joined the FIDO Alliance and are all-in on passwordless authentication: https://blog.1password.com/1password-is-joining-the-fido-alliance/. The blog post has a neat video of 1Password working as a WebAuthn (aka passkey) authenticator, so I'm not revealing much new information by saying "it's coming."

That was back in June, and we haven't been sitting still since then. As much as we want to share with you ASAP, we really don't want to rush it. I promise we are moving as fast as we responsibly can, because we're as excited as you are.

My advice if you're really curious about passkeys is to go ahead and try them out on your devices. See what you like about the experience and what you think could be better -- and let us know. We have lots of ideas already, but it's early days, and I expect we'll build an even better experience by working with early adopters who are as passionate about this topic as we are.

Thank you everyone for tuning in and we'll back soon with lots more to say. :)

-Mitch

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

This discussion has been closed.