1password 8 high CPU use?

Options
enkeboll1pass
enkeboll1pass
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Mac

Recently upgraded from 1password 7 (rip classic browser extension) and I frequently have to force quit 1password for using so much CPU it makes my computer unusably sluggish. After a force quit and reopen, it seems to calm down.

1Password Version: 8.9.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: MacOS 12.5
Browser: Chrome 103.0.5060.134
Referrer: forum-search:[high cpu](https://1password.community/search?Search=high cpu\)

Comments

• @enkeboll1pass

Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. Can you grab a sample of the process and include it?

• enkeboll1pass
    enkeboll1pass
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Tommy-- will do. Of course it's behaving right now, but when this next happens I'll sample and submit via email.

• Always happens. :) We'll be here when you need us.

• enkeboll1pass
    enkeboll1pass
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone else who stumbles across the thread, this is from my email exchange:

There were some recent changes to how Universal Autofill function in 1Password 8 for Mac, which can cause the app to sometimes get stuck in a continuous workload and have high CPU usage. The good news is that the team have already created a fix for this issue and it should be released in the upcoming nightly and beta builds of 1Password 8 for Mac. Since the release of 1Password 8 for iOS and Android has taken priority over the last few weeks, the next beta builds should be released either be later this week or at some point next week. In the meantime, you can quit 1Password either from Activity Monitor or by pressing quit from the 1Password icon in the menu bar and it should stop the high CPU usage you're seeing.

• davidnd
    davidnd
    Community Member
    Options

Same, computer becomes sluggish after upgrading to 1Password 8. Had to force quit it many times a day

• mburnett
    mburnett
    Community Member
    Options

+1

Plenty of people called out performance problems over the last year.

• drahunov
    drahunov
    Community Member
    Options

Is it fixed?
    I am using 1Password for Mac 8.8.0 80800203, on PRODUCTION channel and I still have this issue.

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    Options

I had to force quit 1PW this morning for the first time ever due to runaway resource usage. It feels like this app is regressing.

• @pinecone @drhunov

Have you been in touch with my email colleagues? If not, I would encourage you to do so. Though it sounds like this poster has already done that and received a reply. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/651048/#Comment_651048

--

You can try updating to the beta and see if that resolves the trouble you experienced. If you would like to do so, please know that you would need to remain on the beta to continue seeing benefits until the next release. You can switch to the beta if you like. Then after updating, switch back to the production build so that you'll automatically receive it when it is released.

• pokryfka
    pokryfka
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

+1

1Password 7 was a native application;
    new version is an Electron app which makes it more resource hungry and it does not look nor feel like a Mac app.
    on top of this, since it has been rewritten, it lacks many critical features.

but ... cross platform code will make it easier to maintain it for developers, at expense of customers experience which seems to be of less importance.

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

@ag_tommy thanks for the response. I did see that suggestion from your team.

Speaking for myself, I’m not interested in beta testing your product. Or, entrusting something as important as passwords to beta version applications.

• Hi @pinecone:

Our beta releases are tested by QA much the way our production builds are. While I can't speak to when the next production release is, please keep an eye out for updates.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.