Vault for Saving, setting a default on Mac

sknaffla
sknaffla
Community Member

1PW on iOS has a preference for what vault to save new items to. Can you bring that same to the Mac client ? (Or maybe I just can't find where that setting is).
I have multiple vaults, and I don't want to save to my private one by default. Yes, I know you can move after, or I could click on save to vault when I first create on Mac.
I just have missed it a few times, and it would be nice to let me choose the default on Mac also.

~Knaf

1Password Version: 8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.5
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• newbay415
    newbay415
    Community Member

second - this is important

• Noted @sknaffla and @newbay415

I'll get you request added to an internal tracker we have for this feature request. Thanks so much for sharing.

• kswisher
    kswisher
    Community Member

Please also add me to the list of customers who are requesting that the ability to modify your default vault on Mac be added to 1Password 8. I am seriously considering downgrading to v7 for myself and will never be able to upgrade my other users to v8 without it. I also sorely miss the ability to set the default vault for autofill that was a feature of one of the older versions of 1Password. Those old versions only suggested autofill items in your default vault, but allowed you to temporarily change vault in the suggestions dialog if needed.

• Hi @kswisher,

Regarding the default vaults for autofill, I did want to share some options with the 1Password browser extension as well as Quick Access:

In the browser extension settings, you can choose which accounts and vaults you'd like enabled:

When using Quick Access, you can click your account icon to select a different account or collection you'd like to use:

All that said though, I understand the desire to see a default vault feature and have added you in the internal tracker Tommy mentioned. Thanks for sharing your feedback! 👍🏻

ref: IDEA-I-292

• JeffJenderson
    JeffJenderson
    Community Member

Need to be able to assign a default vault for saving. This is a must-have feature. Thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022

@JeffJenderson

Have you tried setting a saving vault within 1Password in the browser? That may help unless you are talking about specifically within the main app.

1. Right-click on the browser toolbar icon and select settings.
    2. In the general tab look for the saving vault.

ref: ref: IDEA-I-292

• JeffJenderson
    JeffJenderson
    Community Member

@ag_tommy thanks! That is helpful. However, I expected that setting to be under "Accounts and Vaults." And yes, I was referring to the Mac 1Password 8 app, which I believe specifically lacks this setting.

• I already took the liberty of adding your voice to the request in anticipation of your answer. 😁 I appreciate the clarification.

• jonchuiww
    jonchuiww
    Community Member

Hey @ag_tommy

I have 2 paid vaults (family plan and biz plan) but do NOT see default vault saving option for 1password8 mac. I would NEVER have thought to look in the chrome extension link though?

From mac app:
    https://loom.com/i/7f54e51d3480476280abbbbd579b337f
    https://www.loom.com/i/682d4de68e2c4c199832e17910041348

Side Question:

• Hi @jonchuiww:

It isn't currently possible to configure default vaults on a team wide basis. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! While I can't promise anything, I'll share your feedback with the team.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-1848

• CloudNine
    CloudNine
    Community Member

Please add my request to be able to set an alternate vault as the default, as opposed to the private vault. As a Family Manager, it is just too difficult for my mother to figure out how to save her entries to our shared vault instead of to the default Private Vault.

• Hi @CloudNine,

Thanks for letting us know this is important to you, I've added your feedback to our internal tracker. 👍🏻

ref: IDEA-I-292

• Hi folks,

I'm happy to share that default vaults for saving new items were added to the latest production release! 🎉

You can check out what other changes were made in the release notes: 1Password for Mac Releases

And if you need any assistance updating, I recommend this support article: How to keep 1Password up to date

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback. 🙂

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member

Thanks for implementing the suggestion ! Already set mine, and it's working as expected.

• Excellent, glad to hear it, @sknaffla! You know where to find us if you have any questions or feedback in the future. 😊

This discussion has been closed.