iOS 1Password 8 demanding master password / Face ID every time I try to auto fill

Options
davidcmc
davidcmc
Community Member

Whenever I tap on a login/password field (website viewed on iOS Safari) and then tap on the login information associated to 1Password that's shown above keyboard, a 1Password screen appears demanding either the master password or Face ID authentication. To use Face ID, I have to manually tap the icon, it's not automatic. After doing so, login and password are filled.

This afternoon I've uninstalled 1Password 7 and installed the version 8, when this problem started to happen. 1Password 7 did NOT behave like this. After tapping the login information shown above the keyboard, a Face ID icon would appear and the credentials were filled. Not even the 1Password sheet/screen used to appear.

I've reviewed my settings and they seem to be OK, on par with how they were when 1Password 7 was installed. I also don't think a reinstallation would fix this, since I've first uninstalled version 7 and then installed version 8. First login to the app was made with the Emergency Kit informations manually inserted. The iPhone has already been restarted after version 8 installation and configuration.

iOS Safari extension is DISABLED. I prefer to use the OS built-in autofill solution.

Can anyone help?

Below are related screenshots.

1Password Version: 8.9.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.6
Browser:_ Safari for iOS

Comments

• davidcmc
    davidcmc
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

So, no answer from support?
    My annual subscription ends on Aug 25, and I'm really inclined not to renew if this service is going to annoy me demanding manual Face ID authentication or typing a master password every time I try to log into something in iOS Safari. Apps are working as intended (tapping on the login suggestion above keyboard automatically authenticates with Face ID and fills login credentials).
    Shouldn't have uninstalled 1P 7, since it's no longer available on the App Store.

• Hi @davidcmc:

If you open 1Password 8, unlock, and then switch to Safari and try filling again, does that improve your state of play?

Let me know.

Jack

• davidcmc
    davidcmc
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, @Jack.P_1P .

Nope. I’ve tried that before, before that’s the default procedure after a reboot. If I don’t open 1Password 7 after a reboot, autofill (everywhere) will ask for the master password. Only after opening 1P 7 for the first time after a reboot the autofill service would work automatically.

But now it doesn’t work like that with 1P 8.

It’s weird because autofill is working as intended on other apps. It’s just on Safari that it’s requesting master password or manual Face ID button tap.

• geekbytrade
    geekbytrade
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I am running into the issue. On sites where I have multiple credentials saved it seems to always land at the enter your password prompt and I can either type it in or tap the Face ID icon. For sites where I only have a single credential saved it seems to be working. I’ve only briefly tested this so far. Have not contacted support yet.

Edit: I can always cause this to happen if I click the iOS Autofill option that shows the username I want to use (from 1Password), instead of tapping only 1Password. If I tap 1Password on a site with multiple credentials Face ID automatically works and then shows me all matching credentials.

• geekbytrade
    geekbytrade
    Community Member
    Options

@davidcmc You should be able to reinstall 1P 7 on your iPhone, this link might help get you to it:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1password-7-password-manager/id568903335

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, right now, you can take advantage of this bug / "hidden feature"...just click on the FaceID icon and it will use FaceID to unlock 1pw...it never actually locks out. I didn't think this was even possible with the standard way for apps to use FaceID, but there it is.

In my opinion, this is a major security regression. I hope this bug is removed soon, which will put you back to square one, but in the meantime, try this:

• geekbytrade
    geekbytrade
    Community Member
    Options

Sometimes that works, other times the Face ID icon is gone and you have to enter your password.

• Hey @geekbytrade / @davidcmc:

I've taken a closer look at this, and was able to replicate this situation, so I've filed an internal issue. Thanks again for letting us know about this.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#16892

• davidcmc
    davidcmc
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Jack.P_1P .

I see that other people are having this issue too (https://1password.community/discussion/132671/v8-face-id-fails-often-when-it-shouldnt#latest).

Let's hope for an update with a fix for this soon.

Thanks.

• konstantin
    konstantin
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like the FaceID toggle switch doesn’t work on iPad Pro - the standard OS prompt doesn’t appear when I enable it.
    If I try to use autofill in a browser, however, i get the prompt and then the feature is properly enabled.

• zBehr
    zBehr
    Community Member
    Options
This discussion has been closed.