is 1Password8 for iOS also electron?

Options
xmarcelo
xmarcelo
Community Member

I really have to ask, the user experience is horrible! it's to0 slow and the UI has no visual language... it actually looks like a glorified PWA. Hope I'm wrong, still trying to make sense of it but as it looks, I'll have to stay on 1Password7 for the foreseeable future.

I understand developers, testers, and stakeholders won't notice slowness if they moved from 7 to 8 long ago. But please ask anyone else with a recent iPhone/iPad, you'll get that 1Password8 is the complete opposite as responsive.

1Password Version: 8.9.0
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: iOS
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @xmarcelo

is 1Password8 for iOS also electron?

No. 1Password 8 is a native iOS app built on our Rust core with the majority of the front-end being in Apple's SwiftUI and a bit of UIKit.

it actually looks like a glorified PWA

Could you elaborate on that? What specifically doesn't look like it is at home on iOS?

the user experience is horrible! it's to0 slow

I'm sorry to hear 1Password 8 isn't snappy for you. I'm still rocking an iPhone XS from a few years ago and the app is incredibly responsive for me, despite running the iOS 16 beta. I'd like to get to the bottom of this situation. When you're experiencing slowness next, please note the time. Then, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben — I was excited to at least be able to move to 1Password 8 in my phone (iPhone13 Pro/256GB about half of that free) and it's really much slower than 1Password 7 in the same device. I have an iPhone Xs available for testing, but since it was slow in the iPhone 13 Pro I didn't try that. Not that I would go back to the iPhone XS if it the speed difference is less there... I need the 13 Pro for daily usage.

What doesn't look in place? for a start the dropdown menu at the top left looks very web-page-ish. Maybe on an iPad it'd make more sense, but it'd probably be still out of place. Icons look like they were downloaded from some freeware site, and in general it looks like it has no visual language of itself. It's just big buttons with no apparent order. Moving the settings to inside the top left dropdown menu may seem obvious for a Wordpress site but seems odd in an iPhone app.

Another thing accounting to my experience was it failed to login several times once installed, and the fact that the new extension doesn't seem to be able open 1Password8 if 1Password7 is still installed. Since I can't remove 1Password7 yet, that's problematic.

• CaspianNova
    CaspianNova
    Community Member
    Options

It is really strange you encounter the performance issues on your iPhone. I also have an iPhone 13 Pro and I've put version 8 on my wife iPhone SE from 2016 and as far as performance goes, everything moves fast and without any glitches. I suspect your operating system environment is probably messy (many installed apps, notifications enabled for most of them, background app refresh, storage issues). I suggest you have a look on these, maybe you can tweak some here and there.

Also, did you restored your iPhone from a backup recently? I found that performing a clean reset and install everything on fresh helps, since sometimes backups tend to backup various issues that are unpacked and can wreck your installation when you restore. Just a thought.

Other than that, design wise, things can get subjective. It's new, it's fresh and it can take some time to get used to it. But I will not say is ugly. Things can be improved slightly, here and there, of course, and I'm sure improvements will come in next iterations. 🖖

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

With a 13 Pro/256G 1pw8 works like a charm. No speed or lag issues. At least in these few days since the release.

• Hi @xmarcelo:

That definitely doesn't sound right. As Ben mentioned, were you able to send in a diagnostics report yet?

Jack

• dannyic
    dannyic
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

FWIW, I just installed 1P8 on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and it's just as fast as 1P7 on the same phone.

If helpful, I have about 450 items over 2 accounts (corporate and personal), and I have about 9 vaults between those two accounts.

• @dannyic

I'm happy to hear that 1Password 8 is running well on your iPhone. 😊

This discussion has been closed.