iOS v8 - is the embedded browser missing here ? I don‘t know how to activate it.

Options
eyel
eyel
Community Member

Hi there,

Just downloaded v8 for ipadOS, I see that v8 for iOS has quite some advancements and polishing, great work!
But I use the embedded browser extensively, it is my goto place for all sorts of account-related actions. Safari feels never as direct as the embedded browser does.
Long story short: How do I use the embedded browser inside 1pw for iOS/iPadOS ?

• or is it gone ??

Cheers

1Password Version: 8.9.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IPadOS 15.5
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Ios embedded Browser

Comments

• mashoe
    mashoe
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

As per Zatara214’s comment on reddit:

1Password's built-in browser, at one point called 1Browser, is a remnant of a time before AutoFill APIs in mobile operating systems. Back in the day, the best way for 1Password to open a website and fill your data into it was to have its own web browser. This was done using the browser engine built into the operating system.

Today, most people are using mobile operating systems that have some sort of AutoFill capability built in. So to my knowledge, 1Password's built-in browser will not be returning with the release of 1Password 8 for iOS and Android.

Fun fact: the built-in web browser is the reason that 1Password for iOS has a 17+ age rating in the App Store. Apps that give unrestricted access to the web like that must be rated as such.

Source:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/rty6be/comment/hqw7ikg/

1Password 8 is now has a 4+ age rating.

• Hey @eyel:

As my colleague Zak noted on Reddit, shared by @mashoe (thanks for the assist!), we built 1Browser at a time when Safari extensions weren't possible and it was the only way for 1Password to fill passwords. Now, iOS has an AutoFill Passwords feature and we have a new 1Password extension for Safari, making this the right time to retire 1Browser. This also means that 1Password 8 will not be rated 17+, a requirement that only existed because of 1Browser.

@mashoe:

It looks like your post may have gotten caught in the spam filter, so I've deleted the duplicate. 🙂

Jack

• eyel
    eyel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies - thank the god of code I didn‘t delete 1pw-v7 yet.-)
    Everything you say makes sense, the age rating is probably a very important sales argument, making a possibly „relatively“ easy implementation unrealistic.
    In general I do like embedded browsers and use them much (my iOS mail client Canary has the same feature, so does pinterest, youtube, my corporate chat system etc.) - I am always happy the stuff doesn‘t open new windows in my browser.
    I would say I stay inside the embedded browser in 9 out of 10 times - only once in a while I need to go to Safari for a reason.

Furthermore, 1pw is also my place for my personal company access details (with various cloud services that I manage) and 1pw happens to give me a central, focused workplace with only the stuff I am currently working on. Safari then is my research engine and what not, but not much account-dependent work.
    Given 1pw has extensive company offerings (dunno about the customer percentage/importance though), my idea keeps having some points.

I even wanted to raise the idea to 1pw of extending that feature (storing sessions and/or tabs for example as well as a file download feature, that doesn‘t work to my knowledge) and with webservices extending and proprietary apps diminishing this makes much sense to me - 1pw could become a whole work environment close to the beings like citrix etc.
    Add a data tunneling service to it and the embedded browser could/would have been the „fort access“ of apps.

I would have loved the possibility to chose on a 1pw-link between opening ‚in-app‘ and ‚outside-app‘ - I fear I should bury that.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Rocco

• mburnett
    mburnett
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    For some sites, 1P will only fill fields in the embedded browser. For elderly parents, teaching them a whole new way of logging in is a non-starter.

• brebak
    brebak
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    The in-app browser is one of the things that make doing repetitive tasks work very well, also like mburnett said, not all websites work without it. The ability to set up the in-app browser as a desktop browser is an important feature for me.

This discussion has been closed.