why is 1Password Safari extension not working?

kevanp
kevanp
Community Member
edited September 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I am running MacOS 11.6.8 (20G730). Safari has recently been updated to version 15.6 (16613.3.9.1.7, 16613). My 1Password has recently been updated to version 7.9.6. The 1Password Safari extension is also 7.9.6.

Whatever the reason, the Safari extension is now dead. Nothing happens when I click the toolbar icon. When I need to fill in a password in Safari and get the open 1Password dialogue it doesn't work.

I have rebooted the Mac, closed and reopened Safari, and closed and reopened 1Password. To no avail.

Please help!

1Password Version: 7.9.6
Extension Version: 7.9.6
OS Version: Mac OS 11.6.8
Browser:_ Safari 15.6
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension not working after latest update

Comments

• Clascell
    Clascell
    Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem that started after I was forced into a 7.9.6 upgrade (and still holding on to a stand alone license).

Silver lining for me was that I checked out Apple KeyChain since I'm totally in MacOS, iOS environment and have been pleasantly surprised so far at how easy it was to import my 1Password vault and how well it works -- though it's only been a day. Something to look into if you don't have cross platform needs.

• Hi @kevanp:

Thanks for reaching out about this. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

@Clascell:

You're more than welcome to follow those steps as well, substituting your username, if you'd like to continue using 1Password.

Jack

• Clascell
    Clascell
    Community Member

Hi Jack.P_1P:

Thanks for your reply. I created the diagnostic report and sent it to Support+forum@1password.com last night, but haven't yet received a reply from the bot. Before finding this forum yesterday, I had already emailed support and the bot created this case number: CLN-14558-274. Perhaps my second email that contained the diagnostic was merged with the first request.

Let me know if you'd like me to resend the diagnostic report somewhere else.

Chris

• @Clascell

It was merged into the case number you provided. My colleague Paul replied to you yesterday. Please continue the discussion with him via email as needed. Thanks.

ref: CLN-14558-274

• @kevanp

Did you happen to send in a report? If so, do you have a support id?

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member

I find that the 1Password 8 Safari Browser Plugin still randomly disappears - does not work and does not get listed in the extensions panel of preferences. I was given a command line to refresh the Safari Extension Cache which makes the extension re-appear but I would like it fixed. I've been using Edge for Mac as a result which does not suffer from the same problem.

• Hi @davegarratt:

Thanks for following up. This appears to be an issue with how web extensions are handled in macOS Monterey, and this effects all web extensions, not just 1Password. We're hoping to see some improvements on this front with macOS Ventura, which will be available later this year.

Jack

• kevanp
    kevanp
    Community Member

Hi @ag_tommy

No I didn't send a report, because on 17 Aug I receive this by email from Lydia H in support:

I can confirm that 1Password 7 is not broken but it will no longer receive any new features. However, I understand your concerns and you are more than welcome to continue using with 1Password 7.

Could you try the following steps and let me know if they help?

First quit the Safari browser by right-clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting Quit. Then, can you double-check the following:

****Make sure the 1Password helper is working****

1. Open and unlock the 1Password 7 desktop app by manually inputting the account password, don’t use the biometric method here.
    • > If the 1Password desktop app is already unlocked and running in the background. Let’s lock it and unlock it again with your account password. This will force a sync between the 1Password desktop app and the 1Password database.
    1. > Click the 1Password 7 menu.
    2. > Choose Preferences.
    3. > Click the Browsers tab.
    4. > Make sure Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running is turned on.
    5. > Close the Preferences window, click Help menu in the menu bar.
    6. > Select TroubleShooting.
    7. > Click on Restart 1Password Extension Helper
    8. > Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select “Quit 1Password Completely”.
    9. > Open and unlock the 1Password app.
    10. > Open your browser and unlock the browser extension.

This worked! I replied to Lydia's email to thank her and let her know.

Best
    Kevan

• Thanks for updating me. I appreciate you doing that.

ref: SLF-75822-325

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member

Ok thanks for the update - appreciated.

• devananda
    devananda
    Community Member

I found that locking the safari extension then unlocking it makes it work again. I am using 1Password 8.

————my thoughts ———
    Agile bits must have sold this to some other company because version 8 feels like a startup that's in beta. this forum is flooded with so many bugs and there's even a note to 1Password employees when logging into this community to file support ticket internally if they have issues. appears to be growing pains for agile bits or whoever owns 1Password nowadays.

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member

I have a reply to my earlier comment regarding 1Password 8 not working in Safari. I fact it just plain disappears from time to time and I have to run the command line to clear the plug-in cache. Now I'm not disputing this is a MacOS problem - but I would like to mention that 1Password is not my only browser plugin that I have installed - but none of my others exhibit the same problem. So could 1Password support check their theory as at least some other plugin developers don't seem to have this issue.

• Hi @davegarratt:

Thanks for following up. Just to share some additional context, there's two types of extensions now available in Safari. Safari Web Extensions, and Safari App Extensions. Web Extensions are relatively new, so it's very possible the other extensions you're using in Safari are App Extensions, rather than Web Extensions. As I noted above, we're hopeful to see the state of play improve here with macOS Ventura.

@devananda:

The message you see on the login page for the 1Password Support Community with instructions specifically for 1Password employees is to do with account creation procedures for the community, and nothing to do with reporting issues related to 1Password 8 for Mac or otherwise.

Jack

• FixOfflineVaults
    FixOfflineVaults
    Community Member

This still doesn't seem to work on 1P7 7.9.6 on Ventura and Safari 16.1. I have a 1Password icon in my safari toolbar that does nothing when clicked except flash a backgrounded 1Password window. Login forms give the inline "Unlock 1Password" overlay, but clicking the unlock button doesn't work (and it's already unlocked). Clicking the 1Password Mini icon in the menu bar also does nothing unless 1Password is the foreground window.

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member

I have to clean the extension cache daily - hard to fathom how apple don't know about this or don't consider it worth fixing anytime soon. I can't really use Safari without 1Password working so that means I have to use Edge instead.

This discussion has been closed.