Desperately Need 1P Keyboard Back for New Version

Options
jimmacmillan
jimmacmillan
Community Member

Testing out the new 1P app for Android:

Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere but here's my biggest issue:

• Finding out that there's a 1P icon(?) just above and to right of the keyboard. It works great when it's present but unfortunately it's hit and miss when it appears.
  • I've got Auto-fill set to use 1P but when I tap on it 1P is not brought up

With the new version more times than not I'm stuck coping and pasting between 1P and and whatever app I'm logging into.

Can we get the 1P keyboard back for these situations?! Please?

TIA
Jim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android OS
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @jimmacmillan, thanks for your question!

We introduced 1Password Keyboard before the Autofill framework was available. Today, 1Password 8 is available on all devices that support Autofill and can securely fill login or payment forms. We understand there’s occasions where Autofill is not offered. In these cases, we recommend opening 1Password 8 in multi-window mode and use drag-and-drop to enter credentials into the forms, or, as you mentioned, use copy-and-paste.

Additionally, let us know if you've noticed some specific apps or websites where the filling suggestions are not offered. We would be happy to pass them along to the team to help us assess areas for improvement as we optimize the filling behavior. For any websites, please include which browser you use as well.

Thanks again!

• jimmacmillan
    jimmacmillan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy,

Attached is a typical experience. On the left when I tap on "Login Id" nothing happens. On the right when I tap on Password I see "Open 1Password" and the 1P icon appears just above the keyboard.

When I continue on from tapping the "Password" field 1P never fills in the "Login ID" field.

In some Apps when I hold my finger down on the Username or Login Id fields I do see the auto-fill option but nothing happens when I tap on it.

In Androids "Language & keyboard" screen under INPUT ASSISTANT the Autofill service shows 1Password.

Using the multi-window is like taking a step back from what it was. I didn't really like using the 1P keyboard when forced to but at least it was more convenient that the suggested solution.

Let me know what else I can share or let me know if I've missed a setting somewhere.

Thanks
    Jim

• Hi @jimmacmillan, thanks for following up and including those examples.

With Autofill, there is the potential for an app or website developer to not provide enough context clues for 1Password to determine it should offer Autofill or otherwise interfere with filling. Additionally, there are some situations where 1Password can fail to detect a sign-in form. That being said, as considerations for filling in development have become more common place and as we've continued to optimize our filling service we will focus on Autofill as the best balance between secure filling and function.

I tested the Authorize.Net app and I was able to consistently fill both fields. I'd like to ask you to check if you have an update available for 1Password 8. If so, can you fill as expected in this app after updating?

If you come across any other apps or websites with filling issue, I would be happy to look into it myself and report any issues to the developers. Thanks again!

• nerdblogpl
    nerdblogpl
    Community Member
    Options

After upgrading to 1P 8 on Android, the custom keyboard is gone.

We've been over this already. At some point you've added a warning that the keyboard is deprecated and will be removed (1P 6?), I mentioned that it's a very bad idea, explained my reasoning, emphasised on how unreliable android autofill API is and you agreed and removed the warning. And now we're back to square one.

The keyboard was removed without a warning. When flashing an ad on how great 1P 8 is you didn't mention it. It's not in the app description either. If I knew a crucial part of the application is gone I would've rather changed a password manager than update.

The question is - are you planning to bring it back or is the split screen the only "solution" you're going to offer?

• jimmacmillan
    jimmacmillan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy,

I updated 1P and that fixed the issue with Authorize.net.

I appreciate you wanting me to share other apps with similar problems. Maybe I'm missing the point but why can't we have the 1P keyboard for situations like this? I don't mind reporting apps that don't play well with 1P but it would sure be nice to have keyboard in the meantime.

The Multi Window option doesn't always work. I've had some apps that don't show the Multi Window as an option. Most recently it was the Fitbit app. It was asking to do a password update. Perfect for Multi Window I thought. Unfortunately, in that mode Multi Window wasn't an option. 1P keyboard would have been a perfect alternative.

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this conversation to turn into a merry-go-round.

Thanks
    Jim

• KM1
    KM1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also in the same boat. There are situation when (rightly or wrongly) the autofill service isn't triggered and even worse, sometimes it is triggered but doesn't actually populate the fields when the account is selected. In these situations the 1password keyboard was a failsafe way to fill in the credentials without copying them into clipboard.

Also please know that not all apps support split screen and some will reset the experience when you switch context or switch to split screen.

I don't see why you would kill off a feature that is still useful without an alternative that has full coverage.

• nerdblogpl
    nerdblogpl
    Community Member
    Options

100% on the same boat. Sometimes Autofill API works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it detects the browser correctly. Sometimes it just detects the browser as an app. Sometimes it fills only password and not login field. Sometimes it triggers only on password field which is on the 2nd step of login. Overall it's crazy unreliable and having 1Password Keyboard was always the way to go whenever there were any problems. I already had to downgrade to 1Password 7 because the experience without the keyboard was too frustrating after 1 day of using it.

• ag_timothy
    edited August 2022
    Options

@jimmacmillan, @KM1, @nerdblogpl, thanks for sharing your feedback and making it clear why the 1Password keyboard is important to you.

To my knowledge, this is not a feature we're planning to bring back at this time. Regardless, I've shared input with the team and added your +1's. I definitely understand the frustration when something goes wrong with Autofill with a frequently used app or website. The way we're currently addressing this is with ongoing improvements to Autofill, and drag-and-drop as a fall back. We have some exciting projects underway to make sure we can continue to improve and adapt our Autofill service on Android. 8.9.2 already brought some positive change and we have lots more to come.

I'm sorry to hear this has been a sticking point in switching to 1Password 8. If there's anything I can help with, or if there's any other feedback you'd like to share, please let me know.

Jim, I just downloaded the Fitbit app and I'm able to Autofill and use drag-and-drop on the sign in page. Does it seem like split screen was just blocked with the password update page or is it on any screen in the app for you?

ref: IDEA-I-1699

• jimmacmillan
    jimmacmillan
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy

I have no problem with that screen either. Fitbit wanted a password change. When it's showing the screen asking for the original password and new password + the second password confirmation field is where the Multi Window option is not available.

Honestly. I'm dumbfounded by 1P on this. Did none of the beta testers bring this issue up? I may as well go back to Google Sheets and copy & paste credentials. Just kidding of course but there's some sarcasm of truth there.

• KM1
    KM1
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy , how do we report instances of autofill not working? Is there a support email or Twitter/FB handle? I'd rather not post the screenshots or videos publicly, thanks.

• Hello @jimmacmillan thanks for clarifying about the FitBit app.

I help customers with questions about 1Password for Android across a few different channels. In my time doing so, I haven't encountered many who use the 1Password keyboard frequently. With the 1Password keyboard being part of your normal workflow, I can fully understand why this feels like a step back and I'm sorry for the trouble.

@KM1, thanks for your question. You can post the name of the app or website in a new thread on the forum, no need for a screenshot or video. You are also welcome to email us directly with a message addressed to: support+forum@1password.com. With your message please include a brief description of the issue.

Alternatively you can email us via our support form here: https://support.1password.com/contact/

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.