Do I have to uninstall 1Password7 for 1Password8 to work?

Options
TobinDawn5
TobinDawn5
Community Member

Do I have to uninstall 1Password7 on my Mac for 1Password 8 to work?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:I just upgraded to 1Pasword8. Now I cannot get the link to my sites to work.

Comments

• Hello @TobinDawn5! 👋

You can technically run both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 on the same Mac at the same time. However I recommend that you only install one version at a time so that you don't run into conflicts or issues with filling in the browser. You can always revert back to 1Password 7 in the future if you wish, updating to 1Password 8 is not a one-way door.

If you haven't yet installed 1Password 8 then you can follow the steps in this guide: Upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac

I hope that helps. 😊

• TucsonTom2
    TucsonTom2
    Community Member
    Options

Do my 1password7 vaults automatically transfer to 1password8?

• @TucsonTom2

If you are already using a membership then yes that will happen. All you'll need to do is sign into 1Password 8. If you've not previously used a membership you'll use the option to migrate your data to a membership.

Assuming membership in use: You can help by making sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your 🚒 Emergency Kit

• EmberN
    EmberN
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I just installed 1p8 while having the 1p7 installed. I was hesitant to install it since I know apps can be duplicated. so far after I have installed the 1p8 there has been no issue of 1p app duplication. i also saw my other vaults were there. i have a paid teams account as well.

I just needed to delete the old 1p7 zip file that i apparently forgot to clear out in applications. not sure if that part is a glitch.

I'm using also 1p extension on chrome.

• Thanks for sharing these great screenshots, @EmberN!

I'm glad to hear the installation went well and 1Password 8 is working as expected. Regarding the .zip file you see, this is part of the 1Password 8 installation process and if you're not experiencing any issues and you see all your data in 1Password 8, you're right that it's not something you need to keep.

I appreciate you confirming this process for the community, let me know if we can ever help with anything. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.