IP8 "Default Vault for Saving"

Options
2»

Comments

• peet1
    peet1
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P @ag_mike_d, an update to the status of reimplementing this core security feature?

1Password 8 is significantly less secure because the removal of default vaults. I manage 1Password for multiple tenants. Since 1Password8, Every-Single-One of them has personal passwords accidentally saved in saved in shared vaults.

I'm a competent SysAdmin with more than 20 years experience and have been using 1Password for 15 of those years. Because of 1Password8, I've personally saved passwords in shared vaults that have no business receiving those passwords.

I understand aligning features and code among platforms. But for the love of all that's holy do not make the product less secure while doing so.

• jfordthompson
    jfordthompson
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my vote to this. Please reintroduce this!

• Hello @peet1, thanks for your feedback! I'm sorry I don't have any updates to share from the product team as to the status of the implementation of an option for a default vault for saving. We're continuing to advocate for customers and ask that you keep an eye on the 1Password releases page for feature updates. We appreciate your patience.

@jfordthompson - I've included a vote for you in our tracked feature request.👍

ref: IDEA-I-292

• eeiciap
    eeiciap
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Dave and the 1Password team, although I appreciate that you are listening to our feedback, I fear that you’re missing the point by treating this concern as a “new feature request” (along with the usual secrecy of feature implementation.)

This is not a new feature at all—it is an important security feature that all of us have relied on in earlier versions of your product. It is a regression.

Please bear in mind that the users concerned about this are your best customers and advocates—we are the ones setting up 1Password for our companies and families. We are the ones with multiple vaults and not just an individual account. We are discovering that our colleagues and family members are clueless about their private passwords being shared accidentally.

Right now, we are rightly concerned about the usability and security of the product—and not just for non-tech savvy people. I have also accidentally exposed my own private passwords inadvertently. It is extremely frustrating.

Please treat this as a priority as it should be, and keep us in the loop.

• coil_of_wire
    coil_of_wire
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add a vote to make this top priority, and add my voice to the people who think it's a little nuts. I only recently discovered that I had been saving my newly-created personal credentials in my work account, and there's nothing I can do to stop it other than try to remember to check each time I create a new login. This seems like a change that's almost certainly going to result in people losing data because they saved something to the wrong vault, and then left or lost access to that vault.

• PaddyTB
    PaddyTB
    Community Member
    Options

Me too - we have a family account and I need my kid's entries to default to the shared vaults like they used to so that I have access to them. Very strange decision to remove a feature like this...

• brody
    brody
    Community Member
    Options

+1

I've inadvertently saved personal credentials to my company's vault several times now. This is a really crucial feature for anyone who uses 1pw for personal and work accounts.

• wtmo
    wtmo
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having the same issue here - I think it’s been removed :(

How do we request a feature for this to be added back!?

• jbsusername
    jbsusername
    Community Member
    Options

Adding to this, as this is an ongoing source of frustration in my family. Please reinstate the necessary feature of being able to set a default vault for new passwords.

• ag_tommy
    edited November 2022
    Options

@jbsusername @wto @brody @PaddyTB et al.

Mac Beta anyone? https://releases.1password.com/mac/beta/#1password-for-mac-8.9.10-9

You can now choose a default vault to save new items in.

• thedean
    thedean
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy:

Thank you... thank you... thank you.

I tested it, and it works fine for me.

Question: Will this feature also be enabled for other platforms (like mobile devices)?

Thanks,
    Dean

• ag_tommy
    edited November 2022
    Options

I would expect to see it there as those devices have new betas issued. The only reason it might not would be if there was a special case with one of the other apps. Which necessitated further work.

• thedean
    thedean
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

Thanks for the good news and the quick response.

Dean

• brody
    brody
    Community Member
    Options

Great news, thank you!!

Looks good on desktop, will wait for that mobile beta release.

• PaddyTB
    PaddyTB
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome - thanks for this - I look forward to testing the mobile beta too.

• matt_1password
    matt_1password
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve also used 1Password for many years and have enjoyed it, recommended it, and bought it for others. Just upgraded to version 8 and am very disappointed. Removing the basic feature to set a default vault is both shocking and a huge security risk. This kind of falls under “You had one job.” Please add this back immediately. Will have to downgrade to version 7 until this is fixed.

• jlb93022
    jlb93022
    Community Member
    Options

I want to add my vote for restoring the ability to choose a default vault for saving.

• HansJ
    HansJ
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my vote for the Default Vault functionality! Any tangible progress other than 'I have passed on your requests to the team'? Can you please give an outlook when this feature will be back.

• nlapalomento
    nlapalomento
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

+1 for this. Super annoying that I’ve been saving all of my recent logins since 1p8 was released to my company vault, instead of my family vault

• MacAndre
    MacAndre
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for adding the option to select a default vault for saving to the macOS app. Now, please add it to the iOS app as well. Is there by chance an ETA for that already? Thank you!

• jakejonez
    jakejonez
    Community Member
    Options

I would also love to see this feature return to iOS. When setting up 1P for less tech savvy family members, they may save things to the wrong vault, then I can’t help them when they’re trying to get into something.

• MAGiles19
    MAGiles19
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I have this issue too ... I have to say that 1P continues to make it hard for me to be an advocate, and to stay a loyal user. When will the IOS version fix this ??? I am fed up with weekly having to move all of my logins out of Personal vault to my preferred, because they were saved in error to Personal

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Me too.

Also add a vote to don't change/delete existing things without advanced warning.

What I really wish, as long as we're dreaming, is I could go somewhere to see lists all the changes to each release for each version divided into bug fixes, function changes and UI changes. I keep stumbling over new, useful things by accident I never new had been added and fumbling around the UI looking for how do things that have moved/changed.

• Hello folks,

The ability to set a default vault is coming to 1Password for iOS with a future update soon. 🎉

You can read more about our plans for the biggest iOS update ever on our blog: Building a Better, More Useful 1Password

Thank you to everyone for voicing your need for this feature. 😊

-Dave

• DFKParadox
    DFKParadox
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave!!!!!

• hichrisbell
    hichrisbell
    Community Member
    Options

Brilliant. Thanks for bringing this feature back and always remembering about what matters: your users!

• @DFKParadox and @hichrisbell

Thank you again for your patience. We hope to release this feature soon! 😊

-Dave

• Lacrocious
    Lacrocious
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    Thank you and the rest of the 1Password Team for adding back in the default vault designation with the latest release. I see that the latest release includes the ability to set a default vault. I looked on my iPad which is the only device with 1Password 8 on it and the option is there and appears to work with the minor testing I did. Time to take another look at 1Password 8 to put together some install/config guides for myself and my wife. They will help us have a consistent configuration and workflow.
    - L

• @Lacrocious

I'm happy that you're enjoying the new feature. You can find our support guides here: 1Password Support

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.