1Password 8, no more fingerprint unlock?

Options
sadreindeer
sadreindeer
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Android

I got a popup telling me to upgrade to v8. Like a good user I did. Now I can't use fingerprint unlock.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S22+. Technically, it supports both fingerprint and face unlock. I don't have face unlock enabled and only use fingerprint unlock.
The application includes only face unlock option under Security option. Fingerprint not mentioned anywhere.

I can't seem to go back to v7 either as the version got delisted off Play Store...

I'm totally perplexed with why this upgrade was advised if there is no feature parity between the versions.

1Password Version: 8.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• sadreindeer
    sadreindeer
    Community Member
    Options

After struggling with this for a bit, I can confirm that fingerprint unlock works!

1password was asking for a password and kept mentioning face unlock... I had to use my password to log in, then force close the app after which it FINALLY prompted for a fingerprint.

• SwissDoc
    SwissDoc
    Community Member
    Options

Have tried your suggestion:
    Opened 1P with password, went to Security - only option is face recognition.
    Forced Stop the app
    Re-opened - same problem.
    Hopefully someone from 1P will be able to solve this?

• sadreindeer
    sadreindeer
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

This is definitely an issue and I have no idea if my action did really help or just accidental. For now it seems to be working but it's janky.

The unlock screen literally says:

Unlock with face
    Scan your fingerprint
    Unlock

what?

• ghostR
    ghostR
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue, guess it was mostly forgot about in the settings. Face unlock is great, but still really nice to use fingerprint. Plus, I couldn't even get face unlock to work.

• Hello @sadreindeer @SwissDoc and @ghostR, thanks for writing in. I apologize for the confusion with the wording of Biometric unlock!

With version 8.9.1, if a device has a facial scanner, the wording for Biometric unlock will default to Face unlock even if Face unlock is not on or available with 1Password on the device. If you have a fingerprint registered, tapping Face unlock on will enable fingerprint unlock in 1Password 8 for Android. The wording has been corrected in 8.9.2 so you should see Biometric unlock or Fingerprint unlock when the update is available on your device.

To clarify, the expected behavior to enable Biometric unlock in 1Password 8 is:
    1. Tap Biometric/Fingerprint unlock on under Settings > Securtiy.
    2. Lock 1Password.
    3. Open 1Password and unlock with your account password.

After unlocking with your account password, Biometric unlock finishes setting up.

SwissDoc and ghostR, are you still running into issues enabling Biometric unlock?

• mikeks
    mikeks
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Timothy, it worked like a charm! Thank you for explaining how to do this.

• @mikeks, thanks for the update! You are very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.