Hundreds of duplicates

Options
2»

Comments

• AshZM
    AshZM
    Community Member
    Options

Watch Tower ONLY looks for duplicates within ONE vault. I have many vaults from syncing errors over the (however many years since version 1). I exported them all to Excel, but it's not ideal. Seems like some vaults have a different number of fields. Plus, the CVS version doesn't export all fields.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@AshZM

You're correct that Watchtower will only show duplicates from the same vault. This is done partially because sometimes a user may have different permissions for different vaults that would make it impossible to use the tool to remove duplicates in vaults where a user doesn't have the ability to delete/edit items.

If Watchtower isn't detecting certain items as duplicates (if they're in different vaults for example), then you'll need to review the duplicates individually. Here is what the process can look like:

1. Treat your Personal/Private vault as the "source of truth".
    2. Go through all of the items in the other vaults one-by-one comparing them to the equivalent item in the Personal/Private vault. Edit and update the item in the Personal/Private vault so that it contains the latest information and everything that you need to keep.
    3. Once you're sure that the item in the imported vault is complete and accurate, delete the item in the other vault.
    4. When the other vaults are emptied, and you don't need anything from those vault's archives, you can delete the other vaults.

I know that this isn't the most elegant process but hopefully you only have to do it once and then you'll have a complete and correct set of your items going forward. Once you have a correct set of your items in the Personal/Private vault you can organize them into different vaults again if you wish: Move or copy items

-Dave

• AshZM
    AshZM
    Community Member
    Options

That would take 100 years! Luckily, when I imported Vaults (I had some all over my Mac with varying numbers of items), I exported them to Excel and compared them all. A bit more helpful (yes, I put pwds on Excel docs). Still, it would be so helpful to compare your own vaults.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 18
    Options

@AshZM

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer to give at the moment, I've let the team know that the current duplicate remover doesn't work for your needs.

I'm glad that you were able to find a workaround for now, when you're done reviewing your items, and you confirm that you can see all of your items in a correct state in 1Password, then I recommend deleting those Excel exports so that the only copy of your items is in 1Password itself.

-Dave

ref: PB-38767591