Need a better way to lock 1Password 8 on Windows

Options
windexlight
windexlight
Community Member

In 1Password 7, the database would lock if simply closed the main window. I believe there was also a more prominent lock button (could be wrong, can't go back and look at it now). In 1Password 8, there is no lock button in the main UI, and the database does not lock if I close the window, which seems dangerous (users will think it's locked, especially if they have past experience with previous versions). The only way I can lock the database is to open the "three dots" menu in the upper left (too many clicks), or to use the keyboard shortcut (fair enough that it exists, but it irks me that there's not just a button in the UI, since this is a very graphical app where the majority of the time I am navigating it with the mouse - it takes extra effort to move from the mouse to the keyboard to lock the app). Further, in settings, there seems to be no way to auto-lock the database after the app is idle for X time. It can lock if the system is idle for X time, but not the app. That is not useful if I am actively using the system for other reasons (as is most often the case). Think about this use case - I open the database, get a password, and forget to explicitly lock it. I then use the system continually for some time and forget all about 1Password still being unlocked. I then get up and leave the system for a while without explicitly locking the system (not ideal in a shared space, I know, but it happens sometimes). Now 1Password is sitting there unlocked for any passerby to access until either the system auto-locks itself or the system idle time passes and 1Password finally locks itself. Best I can do with 1Password 8 is set the system idle timeout to the lowest setting (1 minute), which is probably fine, but wouldn't it be better if in the time between accessing 1Password and me leaving the system, that 1Password would lock itself because it recognizes that it is idle - not the system. Then, when I leave the system, 1Password is already locked.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 21H2
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @windexlight,

Thanks for your message and feedback. The lock functionality between 1Password 8 and version 7 are similar in the settings you've mentioned, but each version does not automatically lock by closing the app's main window. In order to lock the 1Password 8 (and 7), the idle time set, must be reached, the app manually locked, or when the app is completely terminated. Of note, you can also lock 1Password 8 by right clicking the icon in the system tray.

A combination of setting the Lock after the computer is idle for 1 minute and enabling Lock when computer locks and ensuring you lock your device when stepping away is the best recommendation here:

You are correct that there was a lock button that appears in the upper right corner of the main UI of 1Password 7. I can see where the return of this feature could be useful and I've submitted your thoughts for the Product team. 👍

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

ref: IDEA-I-1656

This discussion has been closed.