Upgrade to v/8.8 from v/7.x - Impairs Live Audio Playback

Options
dbmcclain
dbmcclain
Community Member

Just did the upgrade at the prompt. Afterward, and after several reboots, the Mac experiences high overhead that interferes with live audio playback in Logic Pro X and YouTube. Running on Intel Catalina 10.15.7. Never had any problems with v7.x, and this upgrade has been the only change today.

I located a hardware acceleration preference and disabled it, despite it mentioning only video problems. Still has the audio playback problems after disabling hardware acceleration.

YouTube, e.g., has severe stutter during playback. Logic Pro X playing a simple stereo track constantly stops with the complaint that the system is overloaded.

Since the computer is primarily an audio editing station, this is not a good outcome. I'm tempted to go back to 1Password v7.x.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:audio

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @dbmcclain, I'm sorry that you've encountered this issue - it's certainly not our intent for 1Password to have that kind of impact on your system!

You mentioned "high overhead". Just to confirm my understanding, is this high CPU usage specifically?

If so, we have a fix for this coming down the pipeline. We have already introduced the fix in Beta channel version 8.9.4, and it is present in the latest Nightly version as well. Would you be interested in trying one of those channels to see if it resolves the issue?

If you'd like to give that a try, you can do so by going to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Release Channel and set it to either Beta or Nightly. Then exit the app, restart it, and it will make the switch.

If needed, our team is happy to help troubleshoot further for you as well. You can reach us at support@1Password.com, where we can provide customized diagnostic and troubleshooting procedures to get to the bottom of this quickly. 👋

Thanks for your patience, and we look forward to resolving this for you!

• dbmcclain
    dbmcclain
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I was not actively operating anything within 1Password, but it was installed and running in the background - dialog panel closed. OS is Catalina 10.15.7 on a 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7, 32 GB RAM.

What appears to happen is that you periodically grab all the CPU's for too long, which causes a system overload during audio playback. That outage occurred about every 10-20 sec with Logic Pro playback. OTOH, during YouTube playback the audio was completely corrupted with stutter to the point where no dialog could actually be discerned in the playback.

So between you and Google, these apps are being very greedy with the CPU.

I verified that once I shut down 1Password the system returned to normal behavior. I have since gone back to 1Password 7. I am not familiar with Electron technology, but it appears to be very greedy. CPU utilization was not overly high. So it seems to be a matter of CPU lockout for too long an interval, too often.

For me, all I need is a secure vault for all my passwords. Nothing very fancy. So 1Password 7 is fine for me.

(Er, perhaps the issue is not Electron per se, but rather your attempt to prevent some of the HeartBleed problems with the Intel architecture?)

This discussion has been closed.