Local mac Password no longer working after upgrading from 7 to 8

Options
boston
boston
Community Member

I've been using 1Password since it's first version. I upgraded to the family account but still maintained a local vault in addition to the one on the web. The vault on the web had it's secret key, a long random password, and my local program (on the mac) unlocked with a shorter, easier to type password. Since upgrading to 8, the local password no longer works and I'm stuck with the long random one used for the Vaults on your web site (make the programs infinitely more difficult to use). I don't want to shorten the one for the web, since theoretically it's exposed to the public, where as my local 1Password program needs the physical device. I can't find a way to change the machine based mac program. FYI on iOS the local copies still work.

Any solutions?

1Password Version: 8.80
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.5.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• boston
    boston
    Community Member
    Options

BTW - The local vault was eliminated when upgrading from 7 to 8

• boston
    boston
    Community Member
    Options

Any thoughts? Or do you now have to use the much longer password for each vault? This will make the program unusable for my relatives (they can barely remember a short password to use on their computer and mobile device.). It was the reason I originally upgraded to the Family plan for 7. I really don't want to shorten the vault's longer passwords since they are on the web.

• Hi @boston:

Thanks for reaching out. The way 1Password 7 unlocked is as follows:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

Given this, creating your local vault would have made you use the first option. 1Password 8 doesn't support standalone vaults, and only unlocks with the 1Password account password you use. When you sign in to my.1Password.com, your account password is never sent to us. We use something called Secure Remote Protocol to ensure that you can authenticate to us, without our servers ever knowing what your password is.

It's important to note that we can't recover your 1Password account password for you, so it should be something you'll remember. Using the memorable password generator in 1Password will generate a password that's both random, but memorable: How to choose a good 1Password account password

Jack

This discussion has been closed.