Application passwords in 1Password 8

Options
MikeZ
MikeZ
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Mac

In 1Password 7 on a Mac, when an application requests a password, the password could be copied in two clicks from the menu bar icon.

This feature seems to be gone from 1PW 8. The only way to access an application password in 1PW 8 is to open quick access, type in the application I'm in, remember not to press enter or click on the application name (it opens an error dialog and you have to start all over again), press shift-copy, then paste it in. Can we please make this simple again?

PS, in KeePass on Windows it was even easier, it could auto-fill passwords in applications based on the app and dialog box title. I'd really like something similar.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
OS Version: 12.5.1

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hello @MikeZ! 👋

Have you tried 1Password 8's new Universal Autofill feature? 1Password 8 has the ability to directly fill your username and password into macOS apps without you having to copy and paste:

I've been loving the ability to fill logins using just Command-Backslash ( \ ). Let me know if this works for you. 😊

-Dave

• MikeZ
    MikeZ
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P for your input. However it doesn't work for my two most used password-requiring apps, Eclipse and SAP Frontend, haven't tried any others yet.
    For example, from Eclipse I connect to many server systems, each one requiring a password. In 1PW 8's autofill it's empty:

So I have to type in the1PW entry, e.g. Eclipse:

The default action if I press "enter" is to try to open in browser, which results in an error

I'm logging onto a bunch of different systems within the app. Some have the same password others are unique. Therefore I have several Eclipse entries with different titles for different passwords across systems, and with 1Password 7 they were listed under the 1PW menu bar icon.
    My Windows password manager is KeePass, which does a nice job of associating the correct password by app and window title (my target system is in the dialog title). Autofill is automatic: the password dialog is filled on opening, and I just need to press enter.

This discussion has been closed.