Can you import Password Tracker Deluxe into your program?

Options
RobPsupport
RobPsupport
Community Member

Yes, I know how old Password Tracker Deluxe. But it has worked for about 20 years. I'm interested in your program for myself and family. If I have to learn and teach the family a new program, let's look at a newer one.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can you import Password Tracker into your program?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@RobPsupport

Wow, that is an old program for sure!

Can you tell me if the program supports exporting? If so, I'm happy to take a look to see if the export can be directly imported into 1Password 8, or converted into a 1Password 8 format that can be.

What version of Windows are you running?

• RobPsupport
    RobPsupport
    Community Member
    Options

MrC - Thank you for taking the time to respond. There is no export or it would already be in Excel or cvs files.
    It will print out copies. It does backup but to a .pwt which is ascii file.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@RobPsupport

I think your best bet is to print to PDF, so that you can copy the contents of a record entirely, create a new 1Password item of the appropriate category (typically this will be a Login), then paste the contents into the Notes area of the entry. Then you can more quickly move the URL, Username, and Password to the relevant fields so that 1Password works best with auto-fill. Make sure you select the correct 1Password category for your needs, as a record's category cannot be changed.

You could also just manually add entries via lots of copy / pasting, but that seems quite laborious, with lots of back and forth, and seems error prone.

FYI: many password managers don't export to CSV; they export to JSON or XML, or other formats that are difficult for non-technical users. I didn't know what P.T.D. could do, nor your comfort zone here, hence my question.

I did look at the options available from P.T.D., and examined the export and backup files. They are encrypted. Since you are the only user, in a decade of being on the forum here, who I recall mentioning this program, I decided it wasn't worth the time investment to see if I could work out the encryption scheme. Although their site mentions the basic encryption technique, it's simply too much work for a program that is likely used by so very people today.

The good news is, you'll be able to export your data from 1Password should you need to in the future.

• RobPsupport
    RobPsupport
    Community Member
    Options

Your time and comments are very much appreciated. You are correct in not wasting the time for one this one time issue. It looks like the best thing to do is to teach one of the family how to copy from the old program to the new program. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.