I could use help thinking through what is likely a common family setup: I am the account owner who administers 1password for my (extended) family. My parents are not especially tech literate, so I'm trying to help dummy proof their account.
Goal: Make a singular, default vault where my parents save all of their passwords, that I have access to on the rare instance I need it, but it doesn't get in my way daily.
- When my parents save an item (Login, note, identity, etc.) using the desktop or browser plugin, it should save in the shared Vault
- It should be impossible, or at least not easy, for my parents to accidentally save things to the wrong Vault; my parents don't understand Vaults, and shouldn't have to worry about Vaults
- Items in my parents' Vault (which is shared with my account, for occasional access needs) shouldn't show up in my items list in the app, or be offered as autofill options in the browser/apps
Can I get some advice on how best to achieve this?
Closest I've gotten:
- Creating a Collection for my parents that just has the shared Vault in it, as long as they have that Collection selected items will default to saving in the right Vault... but if they log in on a new device, or presumably get logged out / other unexpected things occur like software updates, they would need to know to re-select the correct Vault, which would confuse them
- Creating separate Collections for me, one for my personal Vault, one for all my family shared Vaults, keeps the shared items hidden when I'm in the app browsing my own Collection (good), but family shared items are still offered for autofill in the browser -- e.g. when I go to Google, all of my family members' gmail credentials are offered as an autofill option, instead of just mine (which is what I'd want). Perhaps there's a way to just... only sync one collection / Vault? I theoretically thought travel mode could maybe be hacked to achieve this, but hoping there's a more elegant solution?
1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac
Browser:_ Not Provided