Mac Laptop and Short Password

Options
kztanya
kztanya
Community Member

I had to erase my hard drive on my Mac and reinstall everything. Now I want to have things back how it used to be. In the older version, I could open 1Password 7 using a short password.

After the reinstallation of all software on my laptop, 1Password wants me to use the master password all the time. Is there a way for me to use a shorter version of the password, ideally my earlier one. I live by myself and my laptop barely ever leaves my home, so it is fairly safe to have a shorter password. In addition, 1Password would lock within minutes if I did not use it. In other words, the earlier setup was fairly secure. Can I arrange it back to how it was before? And so how?

On my iPhone and iPad, I can use my finger print to unlock 1 Password which is really convenient because the master password is so long with upper case letters which means frequent mistakes and making multiple attempts to get the password right.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.9.6
OS Version: macOS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @kztanya:

Great question. 1Password 8 can now only unlock with your account password (or biometry like Touch ID or Apple Watch). While it was possible to use a standalone vault to create a shorter password to unlock 1Password 7, this resulted in situations where people may not remember their 1Password account password, because they haven't had to enter it in years. Your account password should be something strong, but memorable: How to choose a good 1Password account password

Jack

This discussion has been closed.