Why 1password does not work correctly with subdomains?

cristafoviciDen
cristafoviciDen
Community Member
edited September 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I am a developer and before sending the websites to my clients I deploy them to my host to show to clients. The main idea is that I have the domain dan.com and the client's websites are published using subdomains, kind as client1.dan.com, client2.dan.com
But 1password shows incorrectly and considers all subdomains as 1 website. Did you encounter this problem? Did you find a fix?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Linux Ubuntu
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• @cristafoviciDen

1Password looks at the base domain. We have a feature request to bring this ability to the apps. I have taken the liberty of adding your use case to that discussion. Hopefully, this is something we can improve on.

ref: IDEA-I-57

• mleiphamellis
    mleiphamellis
    Community Member

I found this discussion (and many others dating back 10 years!) while searching for a solution to some recurring annoyances. I have several others I could share, here's a non-developer/technical person use case that I hope expands the target audience and priority for this longstanding feature request.

My credit union has unique subdomains for several portals:

• Personal online banking
    • Business online banking
    • Bill Pay
    • Mortgage account management
    • Secure document exchange
    • Loan applications

I have 10 active Login Items across these various portals, and the singular website URL for each item is specific to its portal's subdomain, such as loans.xyzcu.com. Y'all definitely know how 1Password behaves in this scenario, and it is annoying!

I think this should be managed on a per-Login Item basis especially if the team wants to preserve simple default behavior for users that do not care.

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Another +1 for this feature.

My $0.02 is that this should be a vault level setting. Basically "enforce strict subdomain matching" which can be off by default so the app retains the behavior it has today. Then, if we check that box, we have to add all the domains and subdomains to the login itself.

This also solves Ben's issue from the iOS thread about this about not breaking Google suite; the app would work the exact same way it does now unless you check the box. A simple dialog to inform the user of the "extra" work that will be required if enabled and then boom, everyone is happy.

With all the focus on Developers and integrations, this absolutely needs to be a priority. Devs themselves may be a small minority of the user base, but they are also the ones who are going to convince families (and even companies) to even bother with a password management tool.

Not to mention all your competitors can already do this.

• @mleiphamellis @DJFriar

Thank you for your feedback on this, I have added your suggestions to the internal request.

• kirsch
    kirsch
    Community Member

I found this old discussion but it doesn't appear the new versions of 1Password have the feature: https://1password.community/discussion/35185/problems-with-subdomains

With all the focus on Developers and integrations, this absolutely needs to be a priority. Devs themselves may be a small minority of the user base, but they are also the ones who are going to convince families (and even companies) to even bother with a password management tool.

This. We are your most ardent fans and evangelists. Please.

• Hi @kirsch,

I have added your voice, thank you!

This discussion has been closed.