in 1pwd8, Open Item In New Window doesn't allow editing - used to be possible before 1pwd8

m_w
m_w
Community Member

before 1pwd8 we used to be able to open items in individual windows and edit them; this was very useful, especially, for getting different items of the same type into the same format; it also made it very easy to compare and adapt them to make the data consistent across different items

for example, for credit cards, I have adapted the standard form and collect a number of additional data; and with the Edit functionality in separate windows you could easily bring them all into the same format

I'm not sure, but was it possible to open one item after another in an individual window from the quick access search result list without having to repeat the search?
right now, when you open Quick Access and perform a search, the search results disappear once you selected an action - I thought in 1pwd7 that the window would remain, but I might be wrong

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: 12.5.1
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:open item in new window

Comments

• Hi @m_w,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and specific use case, much appreciated! It isn't currently possible to edit items from the new windows they're opened in, but we do have an internal feature request to track the need for this. While I can't make any promises, I've added a proxy vote on your behalf.

Regarding Quick Access, you're spot on that once an action has been selected, Quick Access will close. If you'd like to open multiple items in new windows, I'd recommend doing this from the main 1Password 8 Mac app:

I can confirm that editing an item while that window is open will immediately update the info in that window, so I hope this is a workable alternative for you. Let me know how it goes. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-610

• nycyclist
    nycyclist
    Community Member

+1 for the ability to edit from "Open Item in New Window." Or at least there should be a way when viewing the item in a window to then open it in the main 1P app itself so an edit can be made.

In addition, on Mac, closing the 1P main app window also quits the app, rather than just closing the window, which is typical behavior for Mac apps.

Thanks.

• @nycyclist

1Password > Preferences > General - Keep 1Password in the menu bar should stop that behavior of the app fully quitting.

• nycyclist
    nycyclist
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

That works, thanks.

• Appreciate the confirmation and on behalf of Tommy you're very welcome, @nycyclist! 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1162

• ossiejhmoore
    ossiejhmoore
    Community Member

+1 for the ability to edit from "Open Item in New Window." Really frustrating that you have to re-open the entry to edit.

• @ossiejhmoore

Thank you for the feedback! I've passed it along to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-610

This discussion has been closed.