Browser Extension risk?

In my cyber security training at work we were told to never use browser extensions. Setting up my new Mac and really want to take full advantage of our Family account. Do you know why they would recommend this and why I should ignore them as far as your extension?
Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: To be determined :-)
OS Version: 12.5.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hey @tblazej,

Thanks for the question! When it comes to work devices we strongly recommend following your companies cyber security policies. In the case of 1Password in your browser, it might be worth having a conversation with them to make an exception.

Generally speaking, your cyber security training team has a point. It is true that browser extensions can pose a security risk because they may have the ability to read your browser history, information you type into website fields, and manage your downloads. For that reason, it is important to only install browser extensions that you trust.

1Password does not collect any data that is not required for the extension to run, and logins and other filled data are never sent to us. For more information about your privacy with 1Password, see here:

The 1Password Extension permissions can be viewed here:

If you or your security team would like to discuss this further, let us know!

Josh

• tblazej
    tblazej
    Community Member

Excellent. I will run it by them tomorrow. Thank you for the quick response. 👍🏼

• tblazej
    tblazej
    Community Member

Just read through some of the comments on the App Store and chickened out installing it tonight. Is it still in Beta? Can I run v7 extension instead even though I'm running the v8 app?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tblazej, the extension in Safari is stable. We don't have a beta version of the extension in Safari.

As for the extension in Safari for 1Password 7, it is different and comes built in with the 1Password 7 app. It cannot be used with 1Password 8. Additionally, using both the old extension and the new one (that works with 1Password 8) at the same time can lead to technical problems. We recommend using the new extension by itself with 1Password 8 for the best experience.

I do want to note that because of how 1Password is designed, we are unable to access your passwords or anything else you have saved in 1Password. Your data is completely encrypted and we do not hold the keys to decrypt it. In addition to the articles Josh shared, here's one about our security model:

About 1Password's Security Model: https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

I hope this helps a bit. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• tblazej
    tblazej
    Community Member

Thank you for that update. Great timing. I finally had some time to today to install it and try it out. I was confused about the allowing everything option but I went ahead and did it anyway. The way it was worded sounded risky. Then I went deeper into the extension settings and saw a bunch of websites I did recognize and I had only been to a couple. I tried removing them but they stayed. Then I tried a few tests and none allowed autofill or filling by the drop-down options below a field.
    I saw some suggestions on your site about relaunching Safari and such but none worked. I uninstalled.
    Any suggestions?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@tblazej Are you referring to these sites: https://share.cleanshot.com/f1pT7B? If so, those are our sites that are used for internal testing. You don't have to worry about them or remove them.

If those aren't the sites you're talking about, can you send over a screenshot and share the sites with me?

• tblazej
    tblazej
    Community Member

Yes, those were the ones.
    I’ll try again this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@tblazej Sounds good. Let us know if you run into any more troubles.

This discussion has been closed.