Safari Browser extension works intermittently

Hello

I have been using a paid subscription for a few years now without any problems, however since updating to 1Password 8 many problems have begun.

Most notably and the most annoying is the extension for safari. I downloaded the app and did all the procedures under safari preferences as requested. Auto fill only works periodically. I never turn my Mac off and always keep the safari browser open.

I disabled “lock on sleep” and changed “lock after idle to never” This did not work. After a few hours I need to close the safari bowser and see if the Auto fill works for login and passwords. Oddly, if I leave it alone for approx 30 mins the extension and autofill will work. Then after a few hours it fails again.

Any suggestions welcome.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Mac OS 12.5.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• @neco

That is an odd one I have not seen, though I don't get into the extensions issues that often. I see you sent us an email. One of my colleagues on that team will likely be the best to help. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: PJG-44862-633

• JimLeask
    JimLeask
    Community Member

I am seeing a similar problem. Since changing to version 8, 1PW has been unreliable. Often the browser extension on Safari has nothing in it. The auto fill on a website isn't working either. Unfortunately, this version is starting to cause significant trouble. (for example, to find the login for this forum, was painful as the login's didn't work properly and I had to manually copy/paste from the opened app)

• Bacon
    Bacon
    Community Member

Exactly the same with my iMac. I have the Safari extension and have tried online suggestions over many weeks whilst waiting and hoping for a fix. Works briefly like it used to then have to copy and paste. Like others I have used 1Password over many years recommending to family and friends. I'll continue to subscription renewal and see what happens. If no improvement I'll have to cancel and try something else. Shame.

• daveherr
    daveherr
    Community Member

OK, add me to the list of hapless victims ;)
    Tried uninstalling the Safari extension, different combinations of reboot, restart of the browser, restart the extension(?), all to no avail. I can't even get the extension to show in the Safari preferences // Extensions panel now, it's so confused.
    I also have in Extensions:
    AdBlock One
    Bitdefender
    Reload All Tabs
    Maybe a conflict with another extension? I haven't done exhaustive on/off cycles or different combinations yet.

• daveherr
    daveherr
    Community Member

Found this via another rabbit hole.............
    https://support.1password.com/missing-browser-button/
    Mine is working again. At least, it's showing in the toolbar. Not sure yet about the former flakiness.

• jfmercer
    jfmercer
    Community Member

1Password has disappeared entirely from my Safari 16.0 on macOS 12.6. Under Preferences > Extensions, it's not there anymore. It's like someone uninstalled it. To troubleshoot, I have uninstalled 1Password using these instructions, uninstalled 1Password for Safari, rebooted, and reinstalled everything. This has had no effect.

Right now, I cannot use 1Password is Safari. Please help.

• jfmercer
    jfmercer
    Community Member

Here's what solved it for me.
    1. Open 1Password 8 for Mac
    2. Click Help
    3. Click Troubleshooting
    4. Select Fix Missing Safari Extension

This discussion has been closed.