The extension disappeared from Safari after update of the main 1Password app

user1peter
user1peter
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello community,

Safari extension stopped working while showing the never-ending progress indicator. At that moment, the main program showed that the app update would be installed after restarting the app. After the update installation and app restart, the extension disappeared from Safari and is no longer listed in the Settings/Extensions. Re-installing the extension from the App-store did not solve the problem. Any idea how to fix the problem?

Many thanks,
Peter

1Password Version: Mac 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.7 (20216)
OS Version: MacOS Monterey v12.5.1
Browser:_ Safari 15.6.1 (17613.3.9.1.16)

Comments

• user1peter
    user1peter
    Community Member

I managed to solve the problem by executing the following command in the Terminal app to rebuild the launch services database:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Afterward, I had to re-allow all extensions to access all sites, but this was a minor inconvenience to get the 1Password extension back.

• @user1peter

There is also an option in the 1Password > Menu bar > Help > Troubleshooting > Fix missing Safari Extension. It may help needing to allow all sites again.

• user1peter
    user1peter
    Community Member

Hello Tommy,

Thank you for your feedback.

Would you please consider adding this option "Fix missing Safari Extension" to the 1Password extension itself? Or at least add a note to the extension activation steps listed on the start page of the extension? Something like
    "In case you still do not see the extension in Safari, try using troubleshooting option in the main program. In 1Password app go to Menu bar > Help > Troubleshooting > Fix missing Safari Extension." That will be a good hint and time saver for the users.

Many thanks!
    Peter

• That's an excellent suggestion. Thanks for sharing. It may be on the roadmap. I don't typically work with that team but I can for sure let them know this would be beneficial.

• phatsac
    phatsac
    Community Member

this is so aggravating imagine a company putting out software that doesn't work . Then when you scour the internet for a fix that said fix is to follow three easy steps but after finding the tiny bubble they call a help button I have 4 choices and none of the choices can you find troubleshooting sooooo even when you find the fix BAM more aggravation. I'm obviously not doing something right but is it to much to ask if when they put things out that they make sure it works. I'm beyond mad right now because I see this every where help menu troubleshooting fix missing safari extension only to be dumbfounded by the fix !!!

• Hi @phatsac,

I'm sorry for the trouble.

I would start by checking you are running the latest version of 1Password 8 for Mac.

The troubleshooting option is within the 1Password 8 app not the browser. Once you have opened the app your should then be able to follow the steps provided above: Menu bar > Help > Troubleshooting > Fix missing Safari Extension.

I hope this helps!

• phatsac
    phatsac
    Community Member

Yea that helped I basically found the help button on top part of the screen I have the settings where I hid that part of my screen so when I noticed there is a top part of the screen it worked….

• Thank you for the update @phatsac, I'm glad you were able to get things working.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.