Firefox vs. Safari 1password functionality

Options

I'm in the process of testing Firefox on macOS prior to making the move from Safari.

In Safari, with 1password 7 and the extension, when I open a website that I've saved credentials to, if I click in the user ID field, I'm prompted by the 1pw extension with the username, I can select it, and the user & pw are filled in for me. Fantastic! That's the behavior I want and have grown used to since 1password4.

In Firefox I have the choice of "1 password extension (desktop app required)" or "1 Password - Password manager".

1 password extension (desktop app required) eg "Classic"- works with my existing local vault, but I have to click the 1password icon in the toolbar, then click autofill in the 1password interface before the credentials are filled in.

1 Password - Password manager - prompts me to login with a 1password.com account.

I've found various threads about "1 password X" being "the future" in terms of development effort, etc. and at least 1 thread that suggests that 1 password X will autofill by clicking the userid field on a website, instead of having to access it via the toolbar.

But I can't find a 1 password X extension for Firefox. Am I looking in all the wrong places?

Or is the "1 Password - Password manager" extension an evolution/current version of 1 password X, and if so, how can I have access to this functionality?

1Password Version: 7.9.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 & 2.3.7
OS Version: 12.5.1
Browser:_ Firefox
Referrer: forum-search:1 password firefox mac integration

Comments

• ju2009
    ju2009
    Community Member
    Options

Nevermind.

It's clear from other questions/complaints on the forum that the company is focused on your new SaaS/Subscription model (eg. https://1password.community/discussion/133451/why-is-membership-subscription-model-exclusive-to-1password-com#latest )

That's a shame.

I've been a user since 1pw4, but once 1pw7 ages out due to MacOS updates, I'm moving to a different PW manager.

• Hello @ju2009! πŸ‘‹

I'm so sorry for the delayed reply. "1Password X" was renamed a few years ago and is now just named "1Password - Password Manager" in Firefox. You can find instructions on how to download the modern extension for any browser here: Get started with 1Password in your browser

1Password for Firefox can specifically be found here: 1Password – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

If you're still using an older standalone vault then you'll need to use the older classic extension that's named "1Password extension (desktop app required)". The new browser experience only works with 1Password.com account vaults and it doesn't work with older standalone vaults. This classic extension hasn't been updated since 2019 and uses an older design and filling method.

Our founder Dave published a great post explaining our decision to go all in on 1Password.com here: The future of local/standalone vaults β€” 1Password Support Community

We're currently offering generous discounts on 1Password memberships to users who have been using our licensed version of 1Password. It you're interested then send in an email to support+tradein@1password.com so that our billing team can offer you a heavily discounted 1Password membership. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.