FACE RECOGNITION NOT WORKING

Options
wobblestheduck
wobblestheduck
Community Member

My new Samsung Tab A8 face recognition is working fine to unlock my lock screen. I've enabled face recognition in 1password, but it isn't unlocking. Instead, when I start an App and select the corresponding 1password login from above the keyboard, I get a black keyboard with a stick face in the center and a prompt for my 1password password. What am I missing?

1Password Version: 8.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Face recognition not working on samsung a8

Comments

• Hi @wobblestheduck, thanks for your question. Face unlock is considered a "weak" biometric factor with most Android devices. 1Password for Android requires device's Face unlock to be considered "strong" for it to be used to unlock the app. To my knowledge, there isn't a Samsung tablet that supports Face unlock with 1Password even if it can be used to unlock the device or other apps.

That being said, the Face unlock setting should be greyed out or removed in 1Password if it does not meet requirements. Do you also use fingerprint unlock with your device? I'd also like to ask you to update to the beta then check if the same issue occurs in that version. You can find how to update to the beta in this guide:

Thanks again!

• wobblestheduck
    wobblestheduck
    Community Member
    Options

PLEASE ADVISE. 🔎

Thanks Timothy.

Yes, it appears 'face unlock' doesn't function on the current Samsung tablets, including my A8. My 'settings/security' page allows me to toggle the 'face unlock'. It's not grayed-out. Unfortunately, my A8 only supports 'face unlock' (i.e. no fingerprint reader).

When the new version of 1password dropped 'unlocking' via 'pin', it introduced a real inconvenience, requiring me to enter my 'strong' password every time. My workaround has been to set my auto-lock to 8-hours, and/or to save a clipboard-copy of my password in Microsoft SwiftKey for easy retrieval. Great solutions, eh? Suggestions?

I will be glad to try the 1password beta IF you have any confidence it addresses the 'face unlock' issue.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

• Hello @wobblestheduck, thanks for following up with me.

There is currently internal discussion around the PIN unlock option. Android tablets, and other devices that do not have a "strong" biometric unlock option have certainly been part of the discussion. While I don't have an update to share, I've gone ahead and added your feedback to the feature request with our product team for their consideration. My apologies for the trouble and inconvenience.

From my understanding the item below in the beta should resolve this issue:

Biometric unlock is now only supported with strong authenticators, like fingerprint unlock. #16420

I don't have a device with only a facial scanner with me at the moment to confirm this so I would suggest retaining the production version for now in case I'm mistaken.

Thanks again!

ref: IDEA-I-1222

• wobblestheduck
    wobblestheduck
    Community Member
    Options

Got it-thanks. 👍

• Much appreciated!

• tkneeland1
    tkneeland1
    Community Member
    Options

I am on the latest beta on SamsungS22. The biometric feature is greyed out in the app. I have both gave and fingerprint enabled on the phone

• 1passworduser123
    1passworduser123
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm on a Pixel 4XL running Android 13 and 8.9.3 of the app and the face unlock option is not greyed out so I have it switched on, but the app never offers face unlock, it always asks for the password instead.

I have restarted the app; I have restarted the phone; I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app - no change.

This wasn't an issue in an older version of the app, so I'm rather irritated that I've just renewed my subscription now for an app that has less functionality than before.

Any pointers? Otherwise it'll be a charge back claim and a different password manager provider.

• Hi @tkneeland1, I have the 8.9.7-7 beta on an S22 and I'm not seeing any issue enabling Fingerprint unlock. Does tapping the Biometric unlock switch toggle the setting on and off or can you not interact with it at all? If tapping it does toggle the setting on and off but doesn't seem to do anything else, please follow the steps I've shared for 1passworduser123 below.

Hi @1passworduser123, I'm sorry to hear there's been an issue using Face unlock.

Settings up Biometric unlock in 1Password 8 for Android works a little differently than it did with 1Password 7. To start, I'd like to ask you to reset Biometric unlock:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap Settings > Security.
    3. If on, tap Biometric unlock off.
    4. Tap Biometric unlock on.
    5. Tap back and close the Settings menu.
    6. Tap your account icon > Lock.
    7. Enter your account password and unlock 1Password.

On step 7 you should see dialogue under the password field indicating that your account password is required to finish setting up Biometric unlock. If you see that dialogue, you should be able to use Biometric unlock with 1Password going forward after you sign in.

Let us know how that goes!

• I'll also note for anyone following along that the Pixel 4 and 4 XL are some of the few devices that do meet the requirements for Face unlock with 1Password.
  • 1passworduser123
    1passworduser123
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy Hi, I had done this process before and had no change, but have just done so again after your recommendation - the dialogue noting needing to sign in with a password has indeed always shown after doing so, and then disappears for the next log in, but still no face unlock, it's always a password required.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but it's not referred to as Biometric unlock in the app, just Face unlock. Either way unfortunately, it's still not working.

• Thanks for double checking that @1passworduser123, I'm sorry to hear there's been no change.

I'd like to ask you to reach out to us directly via email at support@1password.com so we can help troubleshoot this issue. With your message please include a brief description of the issue. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks a bit like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post your support ID here, and I'll be able to make sure your message has made it to the right place. Thanks again!

• 1passworduser123
    1passworduser123
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_timothy and to all other readers - please ignore my previous posts in this thread.

Face unlock works absolutely perfectly with my Pixel 4XL. Brendan in online support resolved it with the simple question of whether face unlock works in other apps. I had assumed (don't assume things that can be checked so easily!) 1Password overrode all other methods, The issue was that somehow (it must have been me!) the toggle in Android Security to use Face Unlock to 'Verify that it's you in apps' was off.

So I retract all previous comments, and indeed would delete them if I could work out how on here, and simply suggest anyone in a similar position to me and with a phone that does meet the requirements for face unlock with 1Password, to thoroughly check your background Android settings to see if you're a numpty like me.

Thank you again ag_timothy and Brendan.

• Hi @1passworduser123, thanks for the update! You are very welcome. Brendan is truly 11/10 and I'm glad to hear everything was sorted out. If there's anything else we can help with, just let us know!

• Temple01
    Temple01
    Community Member
    Options

@1passworduser123 @ag_timothy

anyone know where this "Verify that it's you in apps" setting is ?

I have looked everywhere to find it but no luck

• Hi @Temple01, thanks for writing in.

The referenced setting isn't present on all devices but can typically be found with these steps
    1. Open the settings app on your device.
    2. Tap Security.
    3. Tap Face & Fingerprint Unlock.

You can then set "Verify it's you in apps" to On (this may prompt you if you wish to use face unlock or fingerprint unlock, please select Fingerprint unlock).

If you're asking in regards to Face unlock, I will note that very few Android devices meet the class 3 implementation of Face unlock required to unlock 1Password for Android with facial data. If you're not using a Pixel 4 or 4 XL Face unlock is likely unavailable.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

This discussion has been closed.