Why is paypal failing 2FA when filling the OTP in?

Options
Bakj
Bakj
Community Member
edited September 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

When logging in to Paypal (where I have 2FA enabled using 1Password for 2FA), 1password fills in the password as per usual, but when automatically populating the OTP, it just enters a series of identical numbers. I have this issue not only on Firefox, but also Safari.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.6
Extension Version: Version 2.3.7
OS Version: MacOS
Browser:_ Safari and Firefox

Comments

• Hi @Bakj,

Sorry to hear autofill isn't behaving as expected. When this happens, does the one-time password generated in the 1Password app display the same code that is filled? If so, I'd recommend disabling multi-factor authentication for Paypal and re-enabling it. Does this happen with any other one-time passwords?

Let me know what you find and we can go from there. 👍🏻

• Bakj
    Bakj
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @andrew.l_1P and thanks for getting back to me.

No, when this happens, the 1password app is not displaying the same code. The code that is autofilled is always a series of identical numbers, but not necessarily the same ones each time (e.g. a series of 0's or 6's, etc). In the recent past, I do seem to remember this happening on other websites, but tbh I cannot remember.

I really hope to get it working, because it's a really great feature.

Thx

• I agree, @Bakj, many of my accounts would likely go without multi-factor authentication if not for this feature so I definitely want to see it working for you.

I'd like to ask you to make a new Paypal item in 1Password with the same details. You can copy your one-time password secret by entering the edit screen of the original item.

Let me know if you see different results when using the new item!

• SpectreGadget
    SpectreGadget
    Community Member
    Options

For me, 1P is filling in the first number of the one-time password in all the fields. I then have to go copy the one-time code and paste it in, and then it works just fine.
    I set up a brand new login and set it up as the code generator, but get the same result. The repeating number it fills with isn't always even a part of the one-time password at that moment.
    But then I changed the Paypal password, and then it all worked correctly. Interesting.

• Bakj
    Bakj
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Comment removed as unrelated to above.

This discussion has been closed.