How to important CSV files into 1Password 8

I found a discussion about the impossibility of important CSV files into 1Password 8 beta, but that was in April. In September, with the genuine 1Passwodr 8, I still cannot find a way to import those files, which I have imported many times with earlier versions of the software. Has the function still not been implemented?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@GSon

Why types of data are you trying to Import?

• GSon
    GSon
    Community Member

It is a CSV file which contains serial numbers of software. Earlier I have always been able to import this kind of information

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@GSon,

You'll be able to use the csv converter in the updated converter suite to create the entries you need. I've updated it to work with 1Password 8, but have not yet made it widely available. I'm assuming you'd like to create Software License entries, or perhaps Secure Notes.

You can find the package by starting with the converter suite thread, and instead of downloading the release version, download the archive inside the Custom folder. In the instructions, ignore references about 1PIF - you'll be creating a 1PUX which 1Password 8 can import. The README will walk you through the process.

Here's an example of the converter run to create a Software License from CSV, and the CSV file below the run:

Here's what it looks like in 1Password:

I'm happy to provide you with a customized version if you have fields you wish handled differently.

• GSon
    GSon
    Community Member

Dear MrC,
    Thank you for your council and for creating this suite of converters. Unfortunately, I have never been good at using Terminal. After following the instructions, I get the following result in Terminal and no converted file. I tried adding my password, but it isn't accepted. I tried both PIF and PUX. What am I doing wrong?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hello @GSon

You mentioned you had software licenses in a CSV file. Therefore, you would want to use the csv converter, just like my sample command in the first screenshot above shows.

It appears that you are using the onepif converter, and that isn't the one to use.

Please be sure to read the CSV section in the README, as it describes the CSV column labels required for the converter to properly identify the records as Software Licenses entries.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2022

Copy that .csv license file to your Desktop, and simply label it pm_export.csv.

Edit the file to insert the prescribed column header labels.

Assuming the converter suite is on your Desktop, your command will look like:

cd ~/Desktop/mrc-converter-suite

and then you run:

perl convert.pl -v csv ~/Desktop/pm_export.csv

This discussion has been closed.