1Password is filling in the wrong Secret Key

Options

I am attempting to log into my 1Password account in my browser and it fills in the wrong Secret Key. I am able to open the 1Password app and copy and paste the correct Secret Key into the appropriate field and log in successfully. However, I have no idea where it is getting this wrong Secret Key and why it is not filling in the correct one.

I attempted to use Google Chrome (105.0.5195.125) and Safari (16.0) to log in as well and both get the wrong Secret Key as well. By-the-way, for all three browsers, it is the same wrong Secret Key. So, they are all pulling the wrong Secret Key from the same place.

Any suggestions about how to fix this issue? Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Firefox 104.0.2
Referrer: forum-search:wrong secret key

Comments

• Hey @paddster7,

Thanks for messaging us! Do you currently have access to a 1Password account? If so, please log in via 1Password.com and look for your 1Password account item. This should have the correct Secret Key.

If this is not the correct Secret Key, do you still have your Emergency Kit? Once you find the correct Secret Key through a 1Password account or Emergency Kit, you can update your items by following this guide: Get to know 1Password for Mac

Josh

• paddster7
    paddster7
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response.

I do have access to my account and am able to log in. The issues is not that I do not know or have my secret key. As I explained in my original message, the issue is that the 1password extension in the browser is not inputting the correct secret key when I autofill.

When I click on the 1password extension in my browser, the window opens directly below the extension icon in the upper-right area of the browser window and shows, under the "suggestions" section, the available information that can be input into the 1password.com login page. When I select my account and click on the "Autofill" button it inputs my information into the email, secret key, and password fields. Unfortunately, the secret key it inputs into the "Secret Key" field is wrong. It is some other secret key. If I then manually copy my secret key from 1password and manually input it into the "Secret Key" field, it works.

So, just to reiterate, I have my correct secret key and can log into my account. The problem is the automated 1password autofill system is not working correctly. It has to be done manually. Please note - I do not have this issue with other logins that just use a username & password login. It is only this secret key issue.

Thanks!

• Hi @paddster7,

Thanks for replying! I apologize for not seeing your message as I am only notified when you tag my name.

I recommend editing the 1Password item in your account with the correct Secret Key. You can do this by following this guide: Get to know 1Password for Mac

Once you edit the 1Password item in your account, you will not have the incorrect Secret Key fill anymore.

Josh

• paddster7
    paddster7
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @josh.d_1p

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, your suggestion about editing the 1Password item in my account did not change anything.

I have two accounts - a personal account and a business account. When I go to the 1Password login page - https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new and use the browser's 1Password extension to autofill for either account, the autofill puts in the wrong secret key. If I open the 1Password application and copy and past the secret key, it works fine. So, the secret key in the 1Password application is correct, but the 1Password extension in the browser does not fill in the right one. Just to clarify, when I am at the 1Password login page - https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new and I left-click on the 1Password extension in the menu bar of my browser, it shows the appropriate login for that website. In my case, it gives me two options - one for my personal account and one for my business account. While the 1Password extension window is open, I can scroll down to the secret key field and select "Reveal" to see the secret key. In both of my accounts, when I reveal the secret key, they are both correct. However, when I click on the "Autofill" button, the secret key that is placed into the "secret key" field of the 1Password login page is incorrect.

So, both the 1Password application and the 1Password extension both show the correct secret key when I ask them to "reveal" the secret key. However, when I autofill the information, the wrong secret key is placed into the secret key field.

• Hey @paddster7,

This is super interesting! I would love to dive deeper on what could be happening and check out how these items are filling. To gather screenshots and other information, can you please email us at support+x@1password.com?

In the email, please include your username: @[USERNAME] and a link to this thread. That way we have everything in one place. You will receive an automatic reply from BitBot, our helpful robot assistant, which will include a Support ID that looks similar to [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here and I will be able to locate your conversation with us.

Josh

• paddster7
    paddster7
    Community Member
    Options

Josh,

I did send an email to support+x@1password.com with the requested information. However, one hour later I still have not received an automated reply with the Support ID you mentioned. Can you tell me how long I should wait?

Thanks!

Greg

• paddster7
    paddster7
    Community Member
    Options

RMQ-38925-662

• @paddster7

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It looks like one of my colleagues replied to your email. Let me know if you didn't receive it so I can look into this further.

Chris

• paddster7
    paddster7
    Community Member
    Options

Chris,

I did receive an email from Evon and am replaying to him now.

Greg

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paddster7 Sounds good, let's keep the conversation going via email!

• paulingraham
    paulingraham
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, I have exactly this same issue (and actually just sent support request about it). 🙂 1Password autofills an incorrect secret key that does not exist anywhere in my vaults. The correct key is stored in my vault, and I can copy and paste it manually, so account access is not my concern. But it is downright spooky and that 1Password autofills a Key of Mystery that doesn't seem to exist in any other context! Wacky!

And I can add a bit more: This has been going on for at least several months for me, and I’ve observed it on several devices, browsers, and with both 1Password 7 and 8. So it’s definitely not just an idiosyncratic configuration glitch on one device, or a bug with any version of the app or browser extension. The Key of Mystery is very powerful!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @paulingraham, if you haven't heard back from our Support team, please share your Support ID here and I'll take a closer look at your ticket to see what's going on. I'm always happy to help.

• paulingraham
    paulingraham
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Joy. I resolved this issue with 1P support earlier today. The explanation was: the mystery key was hiding in the "auto-saved web details" for the login item, which aren't searchable or even visible until you expose them in the advanced settings.

I knew it had to be there SOMEWHERE, obviously it did actually exist! It just had to be hard to find in some way... and that's where it was hiding. Ta da.

I had long been aware of the auto-saved web details, and I truly believed I had already checked there. But I suspect I made the mistake of assuming that searching for a unique string would find anything saved in those details, and then just failed to actually visually inspect them.

Also, I reasonably assume that data saved there would never pre-empt the same data in the main login item. I can see how it could happen, presumably something about field labelling, the auto-saved item is probably a more exact match for the autofill. But it does still seem a bit janky that a hidden-by-default bit of data could have that kind of power.

Anyhoo, mystery solved!

• Thank you for the update @paulingraham, I'm glad we were able to get to the bottom of things.

I'm sorry for the trouble, have a great week!

• jvosk
    jvosk
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW this happened to me also; when signing in to a Business account on the same PC as I first signed into my personal account, the Business account showed the correct 'Secret Key: secret key' field, but the (hidden) auto-saved web details 'account-key' field stored the (incorrect, duplicate-of-personal-account) wrong value. Thanks @paulingraham for the fix!

@ The 1Password team -- would you look into this? seems to be a bug, related to multi-1Password-account-signin-on-same-PC (e.g. Business + Family account)

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jvosk, sorry for the late reply. I was unable to reproduce the behavior that you described. Could you clarify if all you did was sign into your Business account? Did you do that only in the desktop app or did you also do it in the web portal at 1Password.com?

Additionally, did you regenerate your Secret Key at any point? Do you remember updating your login for the Business account at any point? Can you open the Business account login item from the app and check if the "date modified" & "date created" values are different? Those would appear at the bottom of the item.

Let me know about the details above so that I can check into this further. Talk to you again soon.

This discussion has been closed.