How do I merge duplicate entries in 1Password?

Options
mav
mav
Community Member

All i see is old entries that are "This discussion has been closed"
Yet another person asking for the option to "merge duplicate entries"
I see a lot of people asking for this... and its been years, Sorry If i missed something.. but I don't see an option.
Just a basic function would do..
Select which entry is the main user/password.. then select others to copy their weblogin address from. DONE!
I Know, I Know.. its not that simple... But I think its a useful feature that a lot of people are asking.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I merge duplicate entries in 1Password?

Comments

• ag_mike_d
    edited September 2022
    Options

Good afternoon @mav,

Thanks for writing in. The ability to merge duplicate items is not something that is currently available.

While you are correct that it's not that simple, many agree that someway to help manage duplicate entries this would be a very useful feature and something the product team would like to explore more in the future. I've included a +1 for you in the feature request that we currently have open.

We appreciate your feedback!

ref: IDEA-I-615

• shopper
    shopper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I also just wanted to add my voice to this - I've been looking through the closed threads on this site and can see there is some resistance to bringing this because of low user demand. I've signed up for your community website just for this issue.

I've been using 1password for a few years and do spend a lot of time struggling with duplicate entries. When signing up for an account, at checkout pages, there seems to be a tendency towards 2-page signups - the 1st collects an email/username and then the second the password. When I go through these I always seem to end up with 2 entries in 1 password 1 with the username and 1 with the generated password each with different URLs in the same domain.

I also frequently hit a problem where suggested passwords are not an option and trying to solve this usually ends up with a separate entry in 1 password with the generated password on it.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the cause glitches in the tool or plain old user error. I don't expect 1passoword to always be able to prevent duplicate creation and support every single website and app in the world, but I would appreciate some kind of tool support to help clean it up.

It is pretty frustrating.

• Good Morning @shopper,

Thanks for taking the time to write into 1Password. I have gone ahead and added your feedback and +1 to the open feature request.

Your patience is appreciated.

Jermaine

ref: IDEA-I-615

• shopper
    shopper
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @""jermaine.f_1p"

Whilst looking through your documentation last night I found that you have a CLI for 1Password. I'm wondering if someone on that team would consider publishing a "merge items" example CLI script that users such as myself could then adapt to our own needs?

It seems to me like a cheap and cheerful way to help with merging. It will also get more users onboard with the CLI whilst using tools we already have?

• There's no way to merge items (even with a CLI script) that wouldn't potentially result in loss of data at this point in time.

We understand this is something folks would like to see -- but providing an unofficial workaround for something of this nature that could potentially run the risk of breaking things isn't exactly something we think is in the best interest of the community.

• rosscado
    rosscado
    Community Member
    Options

Please upvote this feature request on my behalf too. ⬆️
    Even a basic function that identifies and merges only identical items (where there's no risk of data loss) would be a worthwhile MVP.

• ag_mike_d
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @rosscado,

Thanks for the upvote. I've created a new Product Insight for the team for this particular feature request and that you're looking for a way to detect and merge identical items. This has been difficult, but the team is continuing to investigate ways to achieve this within 1Password 8.

We appreciate the feedback!

ref: 31502749

This discussion has been closed.