Autofill not working within iOS apps in 1P8

Options
kchristopher
kchristopher
Community Member

Hello, after upgrading from 1P7 to 1P8 on iOS, I've discovered that autofill no longer works in any apps unless iCloud Keychain is also selected in the Autofill Passwords options.

iCloud Keychain was previously disabled since I'd prefer to use 1Password. Now, turning off iCloud Keychain immediately disables 1Password autofill in my apps, even though Autofill Passwords remains toggled on. I've tried reinstalling 1P8 with no effect. Looking for advice as iCloud Keychain's repeated prompts to save my passwords is irritating, but I can't do without 1P autofill.

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 15.6.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @kchristopher! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to fill logins from 1Password on your iOS device. Just to make sure that I understand, are you saying that you have 1Password enabled and iCloud Keychain disabled in Settings > Passwords > AutoFill Passwords and suggestions from 1Password are not appearing when you try to use Password AutoFill but they are appearing when you have both iCloud Keychain and 1Password enabled at the same time?

If I understood correctly, then can you tell me what you see above your keyboard when you tap on a username/password login in an app when only 1Password is enabled for AutoFill? Do you see the "πŸ”‘ Passwords" prompt? What happens when you tap on it?

And, when 1Password is enabled for Password AutoFill, are you still able to fill logins in Safari? Or do you not see suggestions there as well?

-Dave

• kchristopher
    kchristopher
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P, thank you for your reply β€”

Your understanding is correct: suggestions from 1Password do not appear unless iCloud Keychain and 1Password autofill are enabled at the same time.

When only 1Password is enabled, the "πŸ”‘ Passwords" prompt does not appear within apps (except Safari; see below). Toggling on iCloud Keychain is the only way I've found to activate the prompt.

However, in iOS Safari, 1Password does work as expected, even when iCloud Keychain is disabled. The missing "πŸ”‘ Passwords" prompt is an issue only in all the other apps on iOS.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2022
    Options

@kchristopher

Thank you for the reply. My initial suspicion is that something might be going wrong with iOS on your device and not 1Password since iOS is responsible for passing suggestions from 1Password to other apps through AutoFill. If you update your iOS device to iOS 16 does that resolve the issue or do you still see the same behaviour?

-Dave

• kchristopher
    kchristopher
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I'll try the iOS upgrade, and will update this thread when it's installed. (Currently waiting for initial bugs to be worked out.)

Thanks!

• @kchristopher

Let us know if the iOS update doesn't resolve the issue and we can dig deeper. πŸ™‚

• alyla
    alyla
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on 15.7 and foolishly deleted IP7 after downloading IP8. The Safari extension is great. Everything else has same issue as above. No autofill besides in Safari. Auftofill was working just fine with IP7 on 15.7, so clearly something was changed by 1P wrt how it passes info to iOS. If IP8 was made to work with iOS 16 and isn't backwards compatible, that should be clearly stated in the app description. Many of us like to wait for iOS incremental fixes to be made available before jumping in to the newest update. I'm about to try the ios update as mentioned above. I'm guessing that person didn't update here because it's now working. fingers crossed.

• alyla
    alyla
    Community Member
    Options

I updated my iphone 12 to ios 16.0.3. I'm using Firefox to sign in to google. No password fill options are available at all within the browser app until I get to the 2nd screen asking for password (as in, I needed to type in my username then click next, then password option was available). It may have been the same in 15.7 but I didn't realize I had to go the 2nd screen as autofill was available in 1p7 even at the email/username screen.

• @alyla

I've tested this on my iPhone and I can reproduce the same issue: when signing into my Google account using Firefox the "Email or phone" field doesn't trigger a suggestion above the keyboard but the password field on the next page does.

I can see how the current behaviour is not ideal for the particular website you are having trouble with. Password AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS so we are unable to control which fields get detected and filled since 1Password only provides the data for the experience. The same behaviour would occur whether you were using 1Password 8, 1Password 7, or another password manager entirely since all password managers rely on iOS Password AutoFill to fill logins in apps like Firefox.

It looks like Password AutoFill is indeed working properly for that website in Safari and I would recommend reporting the issue to Google so that they can investigate why the username field on their website isn't being detected by iOS Password AutoFill in Firefox.

Please let me now if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.