I am looking for 1Password to correctly support Container Tabs in Firefox

I am a long term user of Firefox and it seemed that 1Password 7 correctly handled Firefox Container tabs, in that when I opened say a Banking Container Tab in Firefox with 1Password 7 it correctly used my existing Banking Tab and filled the URL and loaded the website. Now with 1Password 8, I create the Banking Container Tab and then go to the 1Password Browser extension and click on the website I want to access and 1Password 8 seems to remove my Banking Tab and replace it with a standard Firefox tab. This is not ideal behaviour as I now need to open the Banking tab, for into the 1Password extension and Copy the website URL manually, then paste it into the Banking Container Tab, then press return, a pain...

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Firefox 105.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:firefox Container tabs

Comments

• msoutullo
    msoutullo
    Community Member

I'm also interested in this type of functionality. Are there any workarounds to launch a URL in a given Firefox or equivalent container tab in any other browser with a single click?

My use case is slightly different though, but as a user of so many AWS accounts, it's sometimes challenging to open multiple environments simultaneously.

• Ayecuramba
    Ayecuramba
    Community Member

Well unfortunately this doensn't seem to have been address by 1Password team in the last 6 months.

I just open the relevant Firefox contrainer tab then go to the 1Password entry for that site and copy and paste the URL in the contrainer tab, this is hardly efficient and working well with the browser, the fact that 1Password offer a Firefox plug in but do not support this key feature of it, seems very poor, sigh...

• Hey @Ayecuramba,

Firstly, I am so sorry that this was missed initially.

I have been doing some testing in Firefox and I'm having a hard time replicating the trouble you are seeing. Here are the steps I have taken:

• I have set up Multi-Account Containers in Firefox and added a website to my personal container
    • On going directly to that website 1Password appears in the fields and offers to fill
    • If I go to the website by clicking 'Open and fill' from the 1Password icon in my browser toolbar I see a message asking if I would like it opened in my personal container, I say yes and tick 'Do not ask again' and it opens and fills
    • The next time I try this I do not see the message and it fills in the container as expected.

Can you let me know if I am misunderstanding or provide me with the steps to try to replicate the issue you are running into? In addition, can you let me know which version of Firefox you have installed and the version of 1Password in your browser you are using?

@msoutullo

Are you using Open and Fill from your 1Password desktop app or are you launching the URL directly from 1Password in your browser? Any information you can provide on the behaviour you are trying to achieve would be really useful.

Thank you!

• jazzlover
    jazzlover
    Community Member

I am having the same issue. I have followed your steps and 1Password does not ask to open a site in a container tab. If I choose a container tab and then ask the browser extension to open and fill a URL 1Password overrides the container choice and opens the site in a noncontainer window. I am using Firefox 112.0.1 and 1Password8.

• Ayecuramba
    Ayecuramba
    Community Member

Hey @msoutullo
    So I am using the latest Firefox 112.0.2 and the 1Password Firefox extension latest 2.9.0

Steps to replicate.

Open new window in browser, then add a then add a Container tab, say Banking.

Then once Firefox extension is unlocked search for your banking site, click on it Open & Fill, it replaces the Container you created with a new standard Firefox tab. So defeats the purpose of using Container Tabs to restrict the flow of information.

Hope that helps Steph

• Hey @jazzlover, @Ayecuramba,

Thank you for getting back to me.

When using Open and Fill 1Password will always open an new tab so even if you have a current container tab open it will not fill into that tab it will fill into a new tab as you have described.

If you would like 1Password to Open and Fill into your container tab you will need to first add the website for example your banking website to your banking container tab. You can do this by going directly to the website > click on the container tab icon > Always open this site in > Banking.

Then the next time you Open and Fill from 1Password it should offer to fill in the chosen container tab.

Let me know how you get on!

• LucasRoesler
    LucasRoesler
    Community Member

Would it be possible for 1password to open a new tab of the same container type as the current tab? For example, if I am in a Work tab, I want the next tab to be a work tab as well.

My gut tells me we need to also ask the Firefox team to support this.

• Hey @LucasRoesler,

Unless you have already assigned the website you are opening to the specific container type you'd like it to open in it will open a fresh tab.

I can put in a request with our product team to see if this is something that is possible for us to do and if they'd consider it in a future update, any information on how you use container tabs and how adding this functionality would positively impact your workflow would be really helpful for me to add weight to this request.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.