When switching vaults, do not default Categories to "All Categories"

Options
paullaszlo
paullaszlo
Community Member

Hi, when switching vaults, the current behavior in the Windows desktop app seems to be to default Categories to "All Categories".

This is frustrating, when searching for an item across different vaults, as it forces you to re-select the correct category each time.

I would suggest that the Categories selection should always be manaully selected, and not default to All Categories.

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When switching vaults, do not default Categories to "All Categories"

Comments

• Hello @paullaszlo,

We appreciate your feedback about this current behaviour. It sounds like you are to the Categories dropdown in the item list and when a different vault is selected, the last selected category defaults back to All Categories. I've passed your feedback along to the team and that you'd like to see an improvement here.

In the meantime, have you tried adding Categories to the left sidebar? This option can be found under Settings (Ctrl + Comma) > Appearance > Always Show in Sidebar > Categories. Selecting a category in the left sidebar and searching, will retain the last category selected. Give this a try and let us know how this works for you? Thanks!

ref: IDEA-I-1949

• paullaszlo
    paullaszlo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_mike_d I added Categories to the sidebar as you mentioned. That is useful, however it doesn't solve my issue. In fact, I would add two similar comments/requests on the behavior:
    1) If I first select a Vault on the sidebar, and then a Category, I would expect the Vault selection to stay active. What I see is that upon selecting a Category, it defaults back to All Vaults.
    2) When choosing a Category on the sidebar, there is no way to then filter by vaults (as compared to selecting a Vault or a Tag in the sidebar, which then gives you the chance to filter by Category at top).

• Hello again @paullaszlo,

If you found that adding Categories to the sidebar to be useful, are you a aware of the Collections feature? You can create a custom group of vaults from your account(s), select that collection in the sidebar, then a category to search those specific vaults.

I've included your feedback for the teams consideration when looking at these feature requests and when making related improvements to 1Password 8. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.