Potential TOTP bug

Options
EdValue
EdValue
Community Member
edited October 2022 in iOS

Hi all,

I might have found a potential bug to the TOTP timer, but like you to check as well.
I’m on an IPad with iPadOS 15.7 and the latest version of 1Password running.

On each item in Password that has a TOTP code, this TOTP code is only valid for a certain period of time, where 1P shows how many seconds that specific TOTP code is still valid. However, I found a situation where the TOTP countdown timer behaves in a strange way.

Steps to reproduce on IPad:
Open Safari
Open/Unlock 1P
Look up an item that has a TOTP code in 1P
(Optional: Select the username/password/TOTP code in 1P to have it copied to the clipboard)
Switch to Safari
Switch back to 1P

Expected result. The TOTP timer is still counting down.
Actual result: The TOTP timer is doing strange things. Like counting down much quicker, mostly skipping 1 second, so showing 30, 28, 26, or showing 20, super quickly 19, then super quickly 18 then going back to regular rhythm on 17 and 16 and then speedily moving to 15, 14, 13 again. And so it continues. Finally ending up in that specific website not accepting the code.

Any feedback?

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPad 15.7
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:TOTP

Comments

• Hello @EdValue

That does sound unusual! I've not been able to reproduce this issue following those steps, so it may be something we'll need to help you with individually.

As a first step, restart your iPad. It sounds obvious and boring, but it's still surprising how often it helps. The TOTP countdown timer is linked to your iPad's system clock, so if the system clock is misbehaving, that would carry through to 1Password. You might also want to check the Clock app to see how the second hand behaves.

Also, visit https://time.is/ on your iPad to make sure that your system clock hasn't drifted from standard time. If so, you can have your iPad's clock set automatically by opening the Settings app (note: not the Settings in 1Password), then tapping General > Date & Time, and turning Set Automatically on.

If neither of those things make a difference, please email us at support+ios@1password.com where we'll be able to give you direct help. I look forward to hearing how you get on. :)

— Grey

• EdValue
    EdValue
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help Grey! It really felt like a particular issue that only happens to me so meanwhile I contacted support, cause I can’t even access my online webmail now. It partly indeed involves my iPad time, next to that, the countdown timer still behaves in a weird way. Thanks again and I’ll be in touch via mail!

• @EdValue Thanks for the update – let me know the conversation number, which looks like [#ABC-12345-123] from the BitBot reply and I'll be able to link it with the conversation here.

• EdValue
    EdValue
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @GreyM1P, sure that is JSG-49867-399

• @EdValue – I see your email, and I can see that we've replied to you there, so I'll close this thread and I'll let the team continue with you by email. :)

This discussion has been closed.