Is 1Password secure against Erbium malware?

Options

Erbium is information stealing malware that according to laptopmag.com is known to "snatch-up two factor authentication codes form several 2FA and password managers".

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Erbium malaware

Comments

• Hi there @06scout

Based on the analysis done here, Erbium does not target 1Password.

While we try to design our software to make it more difficult for malware to attack us, we cannot make any security guarantees when malware is running on a device. If you think your device may have malware, you should seek advice from your device's manfacturer on how best to remove it.

In our Security Design white paper, we say:

Malware that can inspect the memory of your computer or device when the 1Password client has unlocked your data will be able to extract secrets from the 1Password process. Malware that can install a malicious version of 1Password and have you execute it will also be able to extract your secrets. Once malware running on a system has sufficient power, there is no way in principle to protect other processes running on that system.

— section "Malicious processes on your devices", page 74

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• 06scout
    06scout
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. We try to be very careful hence we use 1Password.

• @06scout – Glad I could help. As I say, if you ever need anything from us at 1Password Support, please do contact us. We'll be here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.