Chrome: Extension issues

Options

Hi,

for the last 2 or 3 versions now, I have had really bad issues with the 1P extension. There are two problems:

1.) When creating new accounts or changing passwords and the extension is making an autofill suggestion for the new password, when I click on the suggestion, nothing happens. It looks as if the autofill chip freezes. When I click outside, the chip disappears.

2.) If I then go into the extension and use the random password generator to create a new password on my own, the extension throws an error, saying it can't save the generated password. It won't show up in the history either.

I am on Chrome 106 currently, but the same happened with 105.

1Password Version: 8.9.6
Extension Version: 2.4.5
OS Version: macOS 12.5
Browser:_ Chrome 106

Comments

• Hey @cryptochrome,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in the browser. I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong especially as you say this is not the first time you are seeing these issues.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles Unfortunately, one part of the issue is hard to produce, as this only happens when creating new accounts with autofill password suggestions. The other part, where the password generator throws "Unable to save generated password" errors does not produce any logs in the developer console.

• Thanks for getting back to me @cryptochrome,

Do you see the same behaviour if you try to save a login on our test website?

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE:

However, I enabled the "collect errors" in the extension details, and this is what I am getting:

Unable to save generated password:

(()=>{var webpack_modules=[,function(e,t){var n,r,i;"undefined"!=typeof globalThis?globalThis:"undefined"!=typeof self&&self,r=[e],void 0===(i="function"==typeof(n=function(e){"use strict";if("object"!=typeof globalThis||"object"!=typeof chrome||!chrome||!chrome.runtime||!chrome.runtime.id)throw new Error("This script should only be loaded in a browser extension.")

The same output is delivered with a few other errors, namely;

• Exception while handling request
    • Uncaught (in promise) Error: Error response received for message
    • Sync error without code.
    • No default minimum and maximum size for Password Rules passwords

Screenshot:

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Does the above help, @steph.giles

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

I uninstalled and reinstalled the browser extension. That fixed the issue.

• Hey @cryptochrome,

I'm so sorry for the delayed reply! Thank you for letting me know the steps you took to get things working again.

Apologies for the disruption.

• andyvan
    andyvan
    Community Member
    Options

My wife and I both ran into the exact same problem. We just transitioned over from LastPass, and I was going through and updating all my passwords. I spent most of a day going through my list, but certainly did not finish.

The next day, we both had this problem. We found that just restarting the browser fixed the problem. My guess is that somehow the browser extension is losing contact with the app.

We're both on Ubuntu 20.04, and running Chrome/Chromium.

• andyvan
    andyvan
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I did a little debugging on this today (I'm a software engineer):

• Restarting the Ubuntu App did not help
    • Opening a new Browser window did not help
    • Logging out of the 1Password account in the browser extension worked

I noticed that when the problem happened, the following error would show up in the browser console when I clicked on Copy in an attempt to copy the generated password to my copy buffer (see attached image).
    Note: Only 1 of these would show up, I clicked twice before getting the screen shot.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andyvan, sorry to hear that you and your wife have been unable to generate new passwords. It's hard to say what the issue was without reviewing all of your extension console logs (to see how the extension and app are communicating). That said, there is a known issue with the extension having trouble syncing to our servers to save new logins (and generated passwords). It's quite possible you ran into this known issue.

In that situation, we do recommend re-syncing the extension, which is what signing in and back out would do. However, if the issue appears again, we would want to investigate a bit further. Could you keep an eye on things and let us know if the issue comes back?

Please let us know if you need help with generating passwords or anything else. We are always happy to assist.

This discussion has been closed.