Kudos, because the devil is in the details

Options
MrC
MrC
Volunteer Moderator

Today while I was creating a record for testing, I was interrupted by a phone call. 1Password auto-locked itself during the call. It was fantastic to find that as soon as I unlocked 1Password, it returned to the record's edit screen, just as I left it.

This was especially nice after having experienced issues while adding some test entries[1] in Keeper Password Manager. Its timeout and auto-lock caused me to lose the entire record. On one occasion, a dialog was presented that said Keeper had experienced an error connecting to the server, so it had to restart the app. Record lost. On another occasion, after unlocking the app, the record was just gone and I was returned to the landing page. That program is just awful, and feels awful to use.

So, thank you for paying such close attention to the details and experience. You've received a lot of flak regarding v8, and I'm sure most of us have no idea how much effort is really involved.

1. for the converter suite's keeper converter updated to handle its JSON format and stock record templates.

Comments

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

This is correct and should be noted by a lot more people. For myself though, I, along with others, was concerned when I heard V 8 would use Electron. This concern was obviously warranted by a number of other Electron apps. I held off on the critiscism, and I saw enough of it without me contributing too much, to see how things would pan out and they certain have panned out.

As far as I see it, 1PW8 is a well behaved beautifully designed application. Yes, there are features we had before which are still missing (reordering fields hint hint), but those are coming.

People do need to be more appreicative of the time, work and effort that goes into building such applications.

I once heard a phrase that sums things up perfectly. "Simplicity is complex to achieve".

Overall, A big thumbs up from me 1Password team. Keep it up!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@rctneil

That's a nice follow-up.

I have faith the app will iteratively become more polished with each update, and I've backed this belief with the not insignificant amount of time and energy I've put into updating the mrc-converter-suite to handle 1PUX (and other things).

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this is so true, I've been using 1PW8 ever since it was first available on desktop and the iOS Beta. it keeps improving with every release, definitely a tool I could never think of living without. It's been such a relief, to know I secure my entire digital life and not worry about forgetting something or not having an extra copy of important stuff.

• Thanks everyone for your kind words!

It's possible to make all kinds of app using Electron, both good and bad, and we're using it mostly to package the apps for each platform. Most of the heavy lifting is done in Rust, with Typescript doing some of the front-end rendering.

At the end of the day, Electron is just a tool like any other. It suits our purposes and helps us to more easily keep things consistent across platforms.

If you're interested, there's more from our founder Dave Teare about how we built 1Password for Linux here:

Behind the scenes of 1Password for Linux | by Dave Teare | Medium

The same principles apply to 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows. If you have any questions, please let me know. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.