To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrade missed 40% of passwords, now I need to delete primary vault

Options
calm
calm
Community Member

I was previously using 1Password 6 (stand alone) and 1Password for iOS (7.9.9), synced with Dropbox (I set this all up before subscriptions were a thing).

Decided it was time to upgrade, so signed-up for a 1Password subscription, then following the instructions, firstly updated to 1Password 7, and then 1Password 8, moving along my data as I went.

Once that was done, I noticed that only about 60% of my passwords had been imported (about 250 of them). The rest (about 150) had got lost somewhere along the way.

The update process was very buggy, and I ran into an issue where it told me not to close the app while it migrated. After about 30 minutes of nothing happening, I Googled to find that this was a known bug and I needed to have 1Password 7 open, so I closed it and started again.

I assume somewhere in this process, these 150 passwords got lost.

I couldn't get these back onto my Mac, but have a recent backup of my machine, so deleted 1Password 8, and reinstalled 1Password 6, and all my passwords returned.

On iOS, I simply signed-out of my account as what had initially happened was the 250 migrated password in my account, were there along with my stand alone vault. So by signing-out, I returned to as things were before.

I am now (after a lot of time) back at square one.

My Mac is still using version 6 and syncing with my phone through Dropbox.

I'm happy to start the migration process again, and hope that now I know some of the bugs, it'll go a bit more smoothly and all my passwords will be migrated.

The problem is these ~250 passwords are now in the primary vault of my account. I want to delete this vault and all the passwords in it and start again.

How can I do this? I do not want to delete 250 passwords one-by-one.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• calm
    calm
    Community Member
    Options

Just to update, I went through the process of migrating from 1Password 6 again, and this time all of my passwords made it into my account and onto 1Password 8.

Great.

Except the 250 passwords that were already in there remained in there, so now I have 250 duplicates in my primary vault. And no way of knowing which is the most up to date.

If I could just clear this vault and start again, then all would be good. But as it is, I've had to yet again revert to using my Dropbox vault.

This experience of upgrading to a 1Password subscription has been utterly horrendous, taken most of an afternoon, and there seems to be no one on here replying to posts.

I'm on the verge of giving up, cancelling my subscription and reverting to what I had before.

It might have been a dated system, but at least it worked.

• calm
    calm
    Community Member
    Options

After spending most of a sunday on this, I eventually got there.

Creating a new vault, then moving all passwords to that vault, then deleting that vault allowed me to clear my primary vault.

Then by reverting to 1Password 7, I could go back to using Dropbox for my passwords, which then allowed me to import them to my 1Password account before upgrading to 1Password 8.

A God-awful experience if I'm honest. I don't think I've ever had to spend that long upgrading a product before, but no thanks to the support on here, I eventually got there.

I hope things get better from here, otherwise I'll be moving to LastPass before my 14 day trial is over.

• Hi there @calm

I'm sorry to hear you've had difficulties in migrating your data into your 1Password account. Our team would love to hear from you, so if you would be able to send an email to support+tradein@1password.com, they'll be able to look into what happened. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.