1Password 8 Freezes Chrome when unlocking

Options
2»

Comments

• nickkk
    nickkk
    Community Member
    Options

similar as @drewe20001 . i have downgraded to 1Password 7 for a week now. (and everything is back to normal)

thanks @Dave_1P . do keep us update once its fixed.

(will check back in a month)

• thatluke
    thatluke
    Community Member
    Options

I've been experiencing this too. It's constantly a nightmare. Happens to me multiple times a day where I'm waiting 3-5 minutes and it freezes all instances of my browser (Brave). What's the ETA on a fix for this?

I'm using the latest version of the browser plugin (not the Legacy or the Beta) and I have the latest 1Password 8 Desktop app installed as well.

• BBrenner13
    BBrenner13
    Community Member
    Options

Any update here? It's been a known issue for nearly 2 months, beyond frustrating.

• metalslug14
    metalslug14
    Community Member
    Options

I am exactly having the same issue on a 2019 iMac with i9 processor, 40GB Ram and dedicated Radeon graphics card. It is very annoying and needs to be fixed asap - else as some others have mentioned, will break my heart but 1Password will start losing customers to competitors!

• vburlak
    vburlak
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Still experiencing that issue in Chrome ~107 on my Apple M1 Max with 32gb RAM

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P - this is still happening with latest Chrome (v107) on MacOS

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you for the reports. Our developers are continuing to investigate the issue. I wanted to reshare this part of my previous post:

It appears that the nightly "Canary" version of Chrome no longer runs into this issue based on some of the testing that our team has been doing.

I know that this is a frustrating issue and I'm sorry that it's affecting your use of 1Password and Chrome. I've added all of your reports to the internal work item for the issue so that our developers continue to be aware of the impact.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#17385

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey everyone, to provide some context, the issue with using a keyboard shortcut to unlock/fill via 1Password in Chrome stems from a Chromium bug: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1364487

We reached out to the developers at Google early on, and they made some updates, which is why things are working in Chrome Canary. Hopefully the fix will come to the stable version of Chrome sooner rather than later.

We do recommend unlocking via the 1Password desktop app and filling via the inline menu until there is a better solution. Another option is to use a different browser (like Safari or Firefox), as they are not affected by this bug. The last option is to set up Chrome Canary, which I've tested myself and 1Password does work well there.

I hope this information clarifies what is going on with this particular issue. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• drewe20001
    drewe20001
    Community Member
    Options

I was finding that it was worse with the keyboard shortcut, but the drop down menu at the top of my screen, at the top of the browser, and the inline dropdown all caused the same problem. It literally made my computer unusable. So a bug in Chrome may have been a factor - but I had the same problem in every browser including Safari.

Downgrading to 1Password 7 was a HUGE relief. It works instantly, reliably, exactly as it should. 1Password should be invisible and magical (like it was), but 1Password 8 was like riding down a pothole filled torn up cobblestone street on my bicycle (which I have to do some in NYC). I don't wish that on anyone.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drewe20001 thanks for your feedback. I've replied to your comments about this same topic here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/666971/#Comment_666971

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I have Chrome v109.0.5414.87 (MacOS) - the situation did indeed improve greatly, however I did encounter the freezing issue one more time so far (but this is much much better than before, where it was 50% of the times)

• Thanks for the update @classz, I hope things are smooth sailing from here on but please do let us know if you encounter any more issues.

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @steph.giles - I encountered once more today (so twice in the last couple of days)

• Hi @classz,

I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble, I think it would be useful at this stage if you could send over some logs so we can try to get to the bottom of this issue.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

• classz
    classz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - I've submitted the files right after it happened to me again - #NVI-68628-654

• Thanks @classz, I hope we can help get things resolved for you.

This discussion has been closed.