Logging In Problem

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member

I have just had the fun of doing a clean install of my PC. A delight for anyone who is a masochist. I came across one wrinkle setting up 1P, the same on my iPad and my windows PC. The requirements are identical:
Email Address
Secret Key
Password

Nothing too difficult. But, each time I was getting an error message that there was a problem either with my email address or with my secret key. I must have entered these details at least six times and each time I was told the error was in the email address or the secret key.

But, Ladies and Gentlemen, my email address was letter perfect, my secret key also. The error message was telling me the wrong thing. My fault, which I entirely admit is, that I did not look far enough down the form to see that I had to select 1Password.com, 1Password,eu or 1Password.cdn. It is written in smaller type low down the form.

My humble suggestion is to change two things on the sign-up screen: -

One: Make the selection of the 1Password Server the first line in the sequence and not the last. If the user gets that wrong nothing else matters.

Two: Change the error message to include a warning about choosing the right 1P site

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Andrew42

Oof. Many moons ago I used to do a clean install of Windows about once per year, but fortunately more modern versions of Windows have obviated that need for my use case. Sorry to hear you're still going through it! I'm also sorry to hear the process of setting up 1Password fresh wasn't as smooth as one would hope. I'll definitely pass this feedback on to our UX research team for further study.

Beyond that, I'd highly recommend downloading (and perhaps printing) a copy of your Emergency Kit. This should make the process smoother the next time you do a clean install or get a new device.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@Ben . Thank you for your comments and I apologise for taking so long to reply. I have my Emergency Kit available to me at any time so long as I have an internet connection.

My suggestion to the IPassword team is that they rethink the lay out of the sign-up screen. If you do not enter the correct server, all the rest is useless nowhere appears the suggestion to make sure the server choice is correct. If you are using a lap top the piece about server selection is not on the screen unless you scroll down.

Given how 1P updates these days are on trivial stuff and not attacking the serious flaws of 1P8 I have great hopes that my trivial suggestion will be acted upon. Unless, of course, all these trivial improvements have been worked on because they have all received so many +1 from the user base!!

• Hello @Andrew42,

On behalf of Ben, you're most welcome. We appreciate the additional feedback and suggestion about the layout of sign up screen and will pass this along to the team. Many thanks!

This discussion has been closed.