is it possible to revert to the prior version on mac

mjcsb
mjcsb
Community Member

I don't know a nice way to say this. The upgrade to the 8.9.4 is the most horribly negative reduction of functionality and productivity I think I have ever experienced in an application I use so often. I don't even know where to begin, other than to say that in nearly EVERY SINGLE TASK I perform in 1Password, this new version is increasing the number of clicks or steps I need to take by 2X to 3X the prior process, significantly reducing the ease of use I used to love.

• I'd often highlight a tag, then start typing to replace it - now, I have to highlight, move the mouse to a "remove me" popup, then move the mouse to the end, then add a new value. Like 4 steps instead of 2 - WHY? This is NOT an improvement in usability!
  • What prompted me here today, is I'm trying to re-arrange the order of sections, and there's no way to move fields or sections up and down like before. SERIOUSLY? WTF? How could you take out such an important feature?
  • I often clone complex login entries. Before I'd highlight, click duplicate, it would put this in the same vault by default with a -copy added to the title, and I'd go and modify this, as often it's just a new username on a site like AWS Console, goes in the same vault. Fast and easy. Now, I get an EXTRA prompt, with a list of vaults, where this spans multiple pages for me, so I need to scroll down, and look for TINY text showing what vault I'm in which I need to pick in order to get back to the same behavior as before. This is 3x to 5x the prior effort. WHY? WHY is this not selectable behavior (clone to same vault in preferences checkbox, at least?)
  • Before when I'd add a new field, the cursor would first appear in the field label, so I could quickly enter the label, then tab to the type and change that, then tab to the value - QUICK, EFFICIENT! - now I have to use my mouse to move back to the label you skip over, I can't change the type as easily on the right, it has caused the effort to quickly add various field types to a new entry to QUADRUPLE - this is NOT an improvement!

I am FED UP. Why do companies like yours change stuff which is working just fine to pacify some new GUI designer who wants to put his own spin on stuff? I use this dozens of times a day. Customer since 2010. I depend on this. You should not just make massive disruptive changes to the UI experience without giving us more options to refuse these unnecessary and disruptive changes. It is seriously a major PITA for me to have to deal with this so often every day.

PLEASE give us an option to move back to the prior, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better GUI experience. I hope I am not the only long-term customer telling you this. How can I switch back, while preserving my massive hundreds of entries over 12 years set of data in your tool?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.7
Browser:_ Safari, Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:is it possible to revert to the prior version on mac

Comments

• dandagreer77
    dandagreer77
    Community Member

I second this comment. I'd like a way to revert back to 7. 8 is just terrible, and I've given myself over a month to try and get used to it.

• korna
    korna
    Community Member

Yes! It is possible to revert:

1. Remove the extension from Safari (also remove it from your mac Applications),
    2. Remove 1Password 8 from your mac Applications,
    3. Download 1Password 7 from here https://1password.com/downloads/mac/ (scroll down to 'Using an older computer?',
    4. Install 1Password 7,
    5. In the menu bar choose 1Password 7 -> 'Install browser extensions' and enable the extension.

Instant relief!

• CooperBlack
    CooperBlack
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

It's unfortunate to pay for a subscription to an app which has helped fund development for a very sub-par update. My experience has been like others who have talked about the regression in 1P. Being a long time user and evangelist for 1P, it pains me to think about possibly changing to something else.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Every few weeks I'm tempted to test the latest 1PW8 version and every single time I switch back to 1PW7 within minutes.

• The new search with its relevance filtering, extra dropdown window and extra shortcut to show all results makes it completely useless for me.
    • Changing fields of an entry is impossible.
    • Agilebits doesn't even care to fix the locale of dates that are still using US format in some places.
    • Many on click actions are now hidden in dropdown menus.

Yes, 1PW8 has some really nice new features like ssh handling. But as long as the core functionality and the UI/UX are not at least on par with 1PW7 I will stay on 1PW7 and eventually switch to another password manager after using 1PW almost from the version 1 on.

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member

Every few weeks, I browse these forums, hoping to see some users expressing satisfaction and joy with 1Password 8. Instead, I (continue to) find posts like this. As a Macintosh consultant for 35 years, I help clients manage passwords - this has probably become 25-30% of my billable time. When clients ask "Should I upgrade to 1Password 8?", I just cringe. Looking forward to changing my answer to "yes"...

• learning curve
    learning curve
    Community Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you for showing me how to get out of this nightmare 1Password8.

• joshhudnall
    joshhudnall
    Community Member

I'm also frustrated with this update. It's pretty and I think there are some good ideas here, but nearly everything takes more clicks, button presses and mental load to get done.

The old quick fill window was better. Hit the shortcut key, start typing to see the most relevant entry and hold option to see sensitive data (when applicable) or just hit enter to fill. And if you needed a OTP code, it was immediately visible. Now everything is obscured behind one or more actions probably because somebody thought it was simpler. It is not.

Thanks for trying to evolve and improve the product, but there are some things that definitively are not broken, you shouldn't try to fix them.

• tzosel
    tzosel
    Community Member

100%. I echo all the frustrations others have indicated. Less details available, functions removed, more clicks for some many highly used functions, etc. This is the most backwards step in user experience I've seen in a long time especially with the "Quick Look". I can get used to the full client changes but the Quick Look/Menu user flow changes is so so bad and after many years of being a loyal customer and 1Password evangelist I'm now out looking to see what alternative exist.

• tzosel
    tzosel
    Community Member

phew!! I found it pretty easy to revert to Version 7 and was able to exit the nightmare called 1Password 8. If they don't fix version 8 though at some point and bring back functionality to the Quick Look widget I'll be looking else where - too bad after being with 1Password since the beginning

• tzosel
    tzosel
    Community Member

Just realized the function that is missing in V8 that has everyone baffled and frustrated was called the Mini UI - Please bring back the Mini UI - it’s where majority of us spend 90%+ of our time and now it’s just gone!

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member

I contacted 1Password directly and asked for a discount on my upcoming subscription. I explained I was considering other solutions, but was willing to stick with 1Password to see if they will right the ship in the next year. I was given a significant discount.

I'm encouraging everyone with the same concerns to do the same. Maybe having to sell the product at a discount will make them see they have created something with less value.

This discussion has been closed.