Very happy with standalone transition to 1Password 8

VT1P
VT1P
Community Member

I know a lot of long time standalone license users are concerned about the transition to 1Password 8. I have been one of them!

I recently decided to explore the transition by removing standalone 1P7 from one of my Macs to try-out 1P8. I quickly encountered problems and had to ask for help. I used 1Password's email support rather than this forum, hoping I might get faster and more personalized assistance - and also to keep my travails out of public view!

A very knowledgable support rep named Catherine F., in London, England, responded early the next day. I won't go into all my missteps and dead ends, which confused me, but not Catherine. She stayed with me for several iterations as I first set up a free trial personal account, not wanting to "use-up" my three-year standalone license discount, then upgraded to a permanent family account with a three year discount Catherine kindly provided.

My wife and I are now all set with personal vaults and a shared vault. Our logins take each of us to our personal vaults, so there is no confusion about accidentally adding a new item to our shared vault that we meant to add only to our personal vault. We have learned how to move only the items we want to share to our shared vault, or to select our shared vault and add new items directly to that vault.

There have been many posts of concern about the standalone transition, so I want to let the community know the water is not that scary (1), and excellent support is available by email. I also want to thank Catherine F. for her excellent assistance with our transition.

(1) You do have to be comfortable with 1Password's zero knowledge cloud security model. I have read reviews about cloud security and zero knowledge in general, and about 1Password's model in particular, at other web sites such as Cloudwards and Wirecutter. I am comfortable 1Password.com is a safe place to keep our passwords.

Comments

• Thanks so much for your kind words, @VT1P! They've been shared with Catherine as well as the rest of the team, we all appreciate the encouragement. 😊

I'm glad to hear you've settled in with 1Password 8 and am grateful for your continued confidence in what we do. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions in the future. 👍🏻

This discussion has been closed.